Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cooling Issues

I have done the searching but seem to get a lot of mixed up answers.
I have a L33 with LS1 Manifold, CTS-V water pump.
I have a C and R double pass radiator that I know works great.
Engine warms up and seems to idle out at 205 degrees. When driving it wants to go into 230 degrees. And this is regular street driving.

What is the stock cooling system routing on a F-body or corvette?

Steam Vents??? I have read but get all these mixed up answers. I plumbed the steam vent tube into the radiator hose outlet by the thermostat. Will this work. When filling the system I bleed off any air there by cracking the hose loose. What is the function of these things? Is it or is it not a part of the coolant flow? The word steam makes me think Air gets generated from these things. Thanks for the help. Maybe we can get some deffenative answers to sticky.

Scott
Old 01-23-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been pretty vocal about the "steam vents" in the past but admittedly I am far from the definitive answer.

IMO the steam vents are really just a way to get the last of the air out of the top of the motor. Once the air is out they are no longer needed.

They do pass coolant when the motor is running. From the size of the lines it has to be a very small amount so it can't contribute much to the cooling flow.

The fact that so many members say they run with all 4 blocked tells me they aren't really needed once you get all the air out.

What sort of fans are you running and are they well shrouded? Most likely the answer to your problem is in air flow.

Also do you have a heater loop hooked up? Some guys claim that is needed.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm using a dual-pass radiator and have my vent(s) plumbed into the flat boss on top of the water pump. Never had to bleed my system, and never seen it over 170°. The only other possible variable would be which component is at the highest point? Mine's the radiator cap...

Quick Reply: Cooling Issues