Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has done their install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Who has done their install?

Thinking about putting the headers in myself so i get that feeling of accomplishment lol....but anyways, i heard some people have to jack up the engine and most people havnt...i'm thinking about doing the jet hots. Let me know if you had to jack your engine or not b/c i'm not really good at bigger jobs like that. Also if you disagree w/ jet hots. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2004, 08:39 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i didnt have to jack up the engine in my install in my sig
Old 03-18-2004, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my tranny off when I installed mine, so that made moving the motor that much easier, and the headers slid right in, passenger side is awesome, but my drivers side is/had some issues. I had to grind the kmember, and it seems as though even after I installed a new header gasket yesterday, it still is emittting massive heat. I cant keep my face anywhere near it, yet I can almost kiss the passenger side before i feel the heat, go figure!
Old 03-18-2004, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1998whiteTranzam
I had my tranny off when I installed mine, so that made moving the motor that much easier, and the headers slid right in, passenger side is awesome, but my drivers side is/had some issues. I had to grind the kmember, and it seems as though even after I installed a new header gasket yesterday, it still is emittting massive heat. I cant keep my face anywhere near it, yet I can almost kiss the passenger side before i feel the heat, go figure!
That heat prob. is kinda strange, Is it effecting the performance? What kind of headers did you do? How hard was it to grind the kmember?? Is it something the average backyard mechanic can do?
Old 03-18-2004, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm working on my install right now. Cam, headers, valvesprings, blah blah blah. Not fun!
Old 03-18-2004, 10:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
I'm working on my install right now. Cam, headers, valvesprings, blah blah blah. Not fun!
LIAR! It is fun

It's all worth it once you hit the key and everything works right
Old 03-18-2004, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

TOTALLY AGREE! That is why we do this crazy stuff to the cars!!!

Not to mention, when you pull up next to some dick and burn past him..you can say..I did that!
Old 03-18-2004, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

I have pacesetters, and I would say of course performance is hindered, I'll find out just how much soon, I mean it still hauls *** and is a big improvement, but the heat issue is weird, might have to send the drivers side back to texas-speed. Not hard but my car was on a lift,(base autoskills center rules!) remove the steering linkage, or you will have to notch the tab that serves no purpose on the block. 1st time sucks ***, after that 1st go its simple, I changed my plugs,and the gasket in no time today, last time wasnt so lucky.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:43 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that heat thing is weird...do you have a leak @AIR or something? Thats the only thing i can think of really
Old 03-18-2004, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

I installed my macs (and everthing else you see in my sig except my clutch and gears), and I always think that it is a PITA while doing the work, but the satification when it is done is well worth it.

I would say the most important thing when doing these mods are to take your time, and don't make stupid mistake due to rushing.

I would consider my header install pretty annoying since I was working on my back most of the time since whey would not drop in from the top as so many swear they do! Driver's side was easy, passenger side a bitch. I removed my starter and ground off a small piece of casting off my block to get the pass side on. But when the job was all done, I was very happy!

Tommy
Old 03-18-2004, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

I removed !air, and egr. Right now my car is having major issues, the exhaust leak is the least of my problems, the erratic/high idle and the super-rich only on start up is killing me, after 1 or 2 starts the car will not start, I have to floor it to get it to start, I have been reading and posting about it for a week now.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1998whiteTranzam
I removed !air, and egr. Right now my car is having major issues, the exhaust leak is the least of my problems, the erratic/high idle and the super-rich only on start up is killing me, after 1 or 2 starts the car will not start, I have to floor it to get it to start, I have been reading and posting about it for a week now.
Think these issues is b/c you removed air and egr??