Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

9inch Rearend Destruction!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 09:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9inch Rearend Destruction!

Well went to replace third members because mine was howling and noisy as hell. Here is what I was putting in.

Found this!

WTF! LOL I knew I could break a bowling ball in a sandbox with a plastic hammer....but a 9inch on a stock motor???
LOL I found large needle bearing looking things in the mess prob 1/4" thick....I looked at old third member and it looks like
I broke something off of that...haha no wonder it made so much noise!

Just finally looked a little closer at old 3rd member and look what I found.
The pics aren't the best, needed better lighting, I will post more later.

Basically the entire thing was falling apart, not only was the case broke around pinion which is where the bearings came from,
but the locker has a massive crack going all the way around it, and the case itself was cracked at the bottom.
How this thing stayed together like this for 2+ years is beyond me, gotta hand it to Ford for a great design, even if it is a completely aftermarket version.

Looks like a bent axle caused vibration enough to make pinion nut back out and destroy all this from 2 years ago.
I kind of have doubts the axle is bent but we put the car on jackstands with the wheels off and noticed the driverside had a bit of a wobble to it.
I took it out and it looked ok by visual inspection but I know I wouldn't be able to tell that way unless it was ridiculous.

What causes bent axles?

Old 02-02-2012, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

you sir deserve a beer...that is very nice.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Stock cases will do that. Pinion snout breaks even on the "Strong" stock N case. I buy a nice moser or strange case and be done with it.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:54 PM
12 Second Club

Lol I guess I didn't mention it......It was a Moser housing and third member!

On top of that, its on a bolt on only car.

The car that had it before mine though was a 9sec car, but that was from 3 years or more back.

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Stock cases will do that. Pinion snout breaks even on the "Strong" stock N case. I buy a nice moser or strange case and be done with it.