Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 05:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help.

I'm working on a 86 trans am that I swaped a 5.3 in the motor has the gm hot cam ls1 intake and rail 99exhaust manifolds with egr stuff blocked off. I had Frost do my initial tune and the car runs great when warmed up but on a cold start I have to crank forever sometimes and it's so rich it will smoke untill it goes into closed loop? Sometimes it will pop and carry on for a few minutes then smooth out or if I hold it at a higher rpm for a short time to "clean it out". I'm also running the 5 wire truck maf. It's not throwing any codes another fellow thirdgen swapper hooked his gm scan tool up to the car and it's ltfts were in the -15 range. I plan on getting it dyno tuned once I finish puttin the rest of the car together but until then this issue is driving me crazy. Could it be tuned for the wrong maf or injectors? Is it a possibility I could have a or a few bad injectors? Like I said though once the car is up to operating temp it runs great and no smoke unless under heavy load. Well thanks and I hope someone can help me figure out my issue.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by screamin86
I'm working on a 86 trans am that I swaped a 5.3 in the motor has the gm hot cam ls1 intake and rail 99exhaust manifolds with egr stuff blocked off. I had Frost do my initial tune and the car runs great when warmed up but on a cold start I have to crank forever sometimes and it's so rich it will smoke untill it goes into closed loop? Sometimes it will pop and carry on for a few minutes then smooth out or if I hold it at a higher rpm for a short time to "clean it out". I'm also running the 5 wire truck maf. It's not throwing any codes another fellow thirdgen swapper hooked his gm scan tool up to the car and it's ltfts were in the -15 range. I plan on getting it dyno tuned once I finish puttin the rest of the car together but until then this issue is driving me crazy. Could it be tuned for the wrong maf or injectors? Is it a possibility I could have a or a few bad injectors? Like I said though once the car is up to operating temp it runs great and no smoke unless under heavy load. Well thanks and I hope someone can help me figure out my issue.
Best bet is to contact the guy who tuned it and explain this to him.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have we have been emailing back and forth discussing what could be going on. Just figured of post something here to see if anyone could think of anything else that I may be missing.