Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help! Have Motor Noise Coming Thru Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 11:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! Have Motor Noise Coming Thru Stereo

Installed an aftermarket Sony head unit with pre-outputs, Boston Acoustic Pro's up front, Eclipse speakers for sail panel speakers, Fosgate 10" subwoofer, and a 5 channel Eclipse amp.

Now I am getting noise coming through the stereo system, such as when using the turn signals, brakes, a/c, etc. Does not seem to be their when using the CD player. I used 4 gauge wires for the power and ground, and the ground is only about 6" to bare metal. Twisted RCA's run on opposite side of car than where the power runs. I tried running the RCA's through the center of the car to see if it would correct the problem... It did not.

What do I need, a filter of some kind? If so what do I need, and where do I get it?

Thanks
Old 03-20-2004, 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Sounds Liek Its Getting In Thur The Rcas Ya Just Gotta Trouble Shoot It Pice By Piece Good Luck
Old 03-20-2004, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had a similar noise wuinning noise even when my engine was off. I tried many things to fix and it turns out it was a loose RCA connection. I felt like a dumbass for not checking that first.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

It is possible that your RCA's are the problem and it is a good idea to check them but I would bet that it is your power and ground to your radio. Check all your connections. Once those are good disconnect the subs and rear speakers from the amp. Is the noise gone? If it is then replace RCA cables till it comes back....last rca in is your culprit. Another way to check your RCA is to run an new one outside of the vechicle. Meaning just drape it across the seats and connect it to the amp and head unit. Now if you still have noise doing all that you will want to check the power and ground to the radio. You do this by termporarily connecting a piece of wire to the positive and negative terminals on your battery. Then connect those to the radio...use the power wire for ignition and constant 12v. Does it still have noise? If so get back to me and I will tell you a few other ways to get check. Also those wires oging to the battery just bring them in through the window and they can be 18ga....remember it is for testing only.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

i always thought rca's but make sure you have a awesome ground ,grind it down to bare metal and use copper fittings from home depot if that doesnt work then everyone is probably right about the rca's. also you can try a ground loop isolator.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

If you are using the stock wiring to the deck that can cause that noise..

Jeremy