Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another rear main question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another rear main question

Ok so ive searched a bunch of threads and havent found this sort of issue. I had a 98 ls1 m6 car. I put in a 6.0 and the ls1 went in my silverado. Now the car had a slight rear main leak so i put a new seal in. Well put it all in and it was worse. So i thought maybe faulty seal...did some searching and when i did it the sexond time made sure to threadseal the flywheel bolts too. Still leaks...after looking on here im curious, i know people talk aboutnthe welch plug but wouldnt the input shaft kind of block the hole too? And the tc nippel on autos.cause when i pulled the trans this time it looks like its coming from inside the crank...running down and not running down from the seal itself. So long story short. Is it possible that because i never took out the pilot bearing the tc may not be seating all the way and sealing the crank? Sorry for the novel wanted to get the whole story known.
Thanks in advance!
Old 02-16-2012, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

It can't leak out the inside of the crank. Its still most likley the seal. The crank could have a nick or a wear spot on the sealing surface which is causing your leak. The rear block cover also has a little o ring that seals against the rear of the block maybe its bad and causing your leak.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

Not to call you a liar but there is a puddle of oil behind the pilot bearing. The seal and crank look fine no grooves or nicks. Slightly glazed where the seal rides is all. I'm tempted to pull the pilot and seal a freeze plug in it. Any suggestions?
Old 02-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

Well to put my foot in my mouth... the seal was in backwords. Unknown to me they are a reverse style seal. So note to self. There should be a this side out.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AJK381
Well to put my foot in my mouth... the seal was in backwords. Unknown to me they are a reverse style seal. So note to self. There should be a this side out.
taking pictures during disassembley for reference during reassembly can save you alot of headache
Old 02-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Staging Lane

It wouldn't have helped to see that. And I put it in like normal seals are with the taper out but until I saw the note with the new one I would have done it again. Still doesn't explain the oil behind the pilot...oh well just guna fill it with rtv.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:35 PM
10 Second Club

This thread made me laugh. Glad you got it woked out.