Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo build list, looking for help/opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo build list, looking for help/opinions.

For a while I've been looking at a supercharged set up, then I recently decided I wanted a turbo more, I have the mods from the supercharged list below, wondering if I could use the same mods with a turbo application. My goals for this car are to daily drive it, and be able to beat 600 bikes, also, would a front mount or rear mount be a better choice(I'd like to keep a/c :O) I plan on using my old LS1 that I spun a crank bearing on for the turbo engine. If someone could Reccomend some more internal parts that would be awesome. I will continue to read posts about turbo builds, I just wanted to out this on here to get some opinions. This won't be all done soon, I'm still in college so it'll be pieced together.

The car is a 2000 Camaro Z28. I have some minor mods on it at the moment, headers, high flow cats, magnaflow cat back, smoothe bore bellows, ported tb, cold air intake, 160 tstat.

QA1 stocker star rear shock, adjusty(2)
-QA1 coil over front shock, double adjusty(2)
-Pre 2004 Block ARP Head Studs
-Ls6 intake
-Rear diff package(panhard bar, torque arm, LCA's, everything I need for rear) moser M9 housing, 3.73 gears, regular studs, 33 spline axles, 4chann abs, nodule iron center, wavetrac diff, pst 3.5" alum driveshaft with forged yoke.
-Auto Meter triple pod
-Autometer electric Air/Fuel ratio PRO
-Autometer electric fuel pressure 0-100 PSI
-Autometer 7107 Mechanical vacuum/boost 30 In/20 psi
-Siemens 60lb injectirs(8)
- Driveshsft safety loop
-MSD super conductor gen III
-Comp 26918-16 Beehive valve springs
-Aster tensioner(with new water pump)
-Subframe connectors
-Aeromotive 11142 stealth in-tank pump(340 LPH)(x2?)<-- not sure about that fuel pump
Old 02-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Launching!

Hp goals? Off the top of my head, Rod bolts, Valve springs,Push rod, cam(?) Upgrade timing set and a new oil pump. Regap rings or new rings gapped. May as well clearance the mains and rod bearings for turbo. Maybe even bore the journals in the crank. There is a lot more, just search!
Old 02-17-2012, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Stock rod bolts are fine for less than 6,600ish RPM, stock timing set is sufficient, and the oil pump is also fine. You don't need to regap the rings, either.

Good springs are really important regardless of what cam you go with.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

You WANT a front mount. You can keep A/C with one also. Put a flpped truck manifold on the drive side and a normal facing LS2 Corvette manifold on the passenger side. You have to stand your radiator vertically. If you read the stick at the top of this section it will help you a lot. Its called "The Real Price of Forced Induction". For the internals Stock Crank, K1 Rods, and Wiseco/Diamond Pistons. That should be sufficient until 800HP or so then you have to worry about walking the main caps. If you don't want forged just go with Rod Bolts. But yes you NEED to upgrade your springs, we don't want any valve float do we?