Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak Prior to 1st Start Up

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Oil Leak Prior to 1st Start Up

Well, not a great sign... Prior to first start up I already noticed an oil leak. Uggg. A few days ago I installed lifters and my new cylinder heads. Thinking the oil on the floor was just from the lifters dripping due to having been soaked in oil prior to the install, I went ahead and cleaned up the oil, and decided to throw a few quarts down into the engine, since first start up will likely be this week anyway.

I came back out in the garage a day later, and noticed a leak in an area that gives me nightmares! Between the trans and rear of the block. All cover seals/gaskets are all new, and well as obviously rear main and oil pan gasket. Scott Fulkerson at Midwest Engine Tech built the short block, but I installed the oil pan and gasket myself. Obviously I want to rule out everything prior to pulling the transmission out.

What would you check before doing anything crazy. My first step will be checking the torque again on the oil pan bolts. I doubt that the oil pan alignment is the issue itself, as with all the bolts in the oil pan there is very little play side to side or forward to front.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're sayin this leak has occurred without it even being run? That would almost have to be a pan issue since the oil you "poured in" will not have made it's way into any oil passages. Check the drain plug, oil filter, bypass just above the oil filter, also check for cracks in the pan... Or maybe you didn't clean up that area as well as you thought?
Old 02-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by S10xGN
You're sayin this leak has occurred without it even being run? That would almost have to be a pan issue since the oil you "poured in" will not have made it's way into any oil passages. Check the drain plug, oil filter, bypass just above the oil filter, also check for cracks in the pan... Or maybe you didn't clean up that area as well as you thought?
Yeah, man, that is kind of what I was thinking. If gravity caused the oil leak, it would have to be oil pan related. I just came back in from the garage after checking the torque on all oil pan bolts (except the two I couldn't reach).

The torque was fine, however I just noticed that the two oil pan bolts (long ones) that attach the rear cover to the oil pan call for 106 inch/lbs vs. the 18 lb/ft that all the other bolts take. I believe I torqued all oil pan bolts to 18 lb/ft.

I did notice oil leaking down the back of the heads from where I oiled down the springs and rockers. I went ahead and sprayed everything down with brake parts cleaner, blew all the residual with compressed air, and will check again tomorrow. Oh, I also noticed that are are two holes in the oil pan which are horizontal to the ground (vs. vertical like the majority of the holds) that I missed. I totally do not remember removing those bolts, nor did I have any extra oil pan bolts in my baggie. Guess I need to check into that.

Thanks for your response!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:26 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Shall we assume your car is an F-Body?

Is it possible that the oil pan is cracked? Is the filter on correctly and seated properly? How did the oil pan gasket match up?

As the oil level in the pan is just above the oil level sensor and below the crank, there is no oil sitting at the rear main seal trying to sneak out.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:28 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks like S10 and I are on the same page lol.

Good luck with this and keep us posted what it was.

May this be your worst problem!
Old 02-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Shall we assume your car is an F-Body?

Is it possible that the oil pan is cracked? Is the filter on correctly and seated properly? How did the oil pan gasket match up?

As the oil level in the pan is just above the oil level sensor and below the crank, there is no oil sitting at the rear main seal trying to sneak out.
Well, based off of the position of the oil leak it wouldn't be the oil filter. It's an '04 GTO with the oil filter placed driver's side front. Checking for any cracks on the oil pan is something I will do, but I don't believe this is the issue. This was the same pan I had on my previous engine, and during the build it sat in my closet in a trash bag.

I pulled the LS1 in October, it was in great running condition when I pulled it (engines that are running well are worth more than ones that are not So I opted to do my LQ4 408 this Winter.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, Ill get this stuff all checked and report back.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Paul Bell

May this be your worst problem!
I second that!

Quick Reply: Oil Leak Prior to 1st Start Up