Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Laid off today...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Laid off today...

Came in to the office this morning, sat down in the operations manager's office like every other Monday morning. With an emotionless face, he said "this is it". Work had come to a stop and apparently the construction of my company is getting shut down.

I am a low voltage lead technician with 9 years of experience in the field. Voice, data, fiber optics, home theater, digital phone systems, surveillance systems, T1 and DSL termination, and pretty much troubleshooting anything in the low voltage field as well.

If anybody knows of any openings in the low voltage field in or around VA , please let me know.
I'm also a volunteer firefighter with quite a few certifications...
Wish me luck... I'm gonna need it
Old 02-20-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear man. I'm in the construction industry as well. We are based out of Philadelphia and do anything commercial/industrial related- low voltage, medium voltage, high voltage. Power/lighting/fire alarm/security/CCTV.....anything with a wire. I am a project manager and estimator.

I was doing an apartment renovation in 2009. That project ended in August and we (our company) felt an immediate slow down. It's been slow ever since with the past few years being borderline 'even' if not 'in the red'.

On a positive note, things have been slowly getting busier. We now have work, but no long back log of work. Keep your head up man, I'm sure something will surface. You have experience which is good for an employer so they can rest assured they won't have to hold your hand and train you.

Best of luck!
Old 02-20-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I was laid off just before thanksgiving being a heavy equipment operator and mechanic. But I only have about 11 months work experience. so its so hard to find a job in places where companies are looking for people with 5+ years experience. But I am going to school right now and hoping to have a few leads become something promising while I get a degree in welding
Old 02-20-2012, 03:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry man....