Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

porting ls1 intake manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default porting ls1 intake manifold?

has anyone done this? is it worth the time and will it perform like an ls6 when done?
Old 03-21-2004, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it will peform anywhere near a LS6 intake. The ports in the LS6 intake are probably much bigger(I have never measured them so I don't know for sure) I would guess. I wouldn't think LS1 intake has enough material to port it out to LS6 specs and still be rigid. I think just about every major LS1 tuner shop has tried to port the LS1 intake and the LS6 intake also. I don't recall any of the shops getting an gains from porting the LS1 intake, and if they did get some gains it was way up top on the RPMs; they also lost a considerable amount of HP/TQ throughout the power band. It's not worth it. Some shops have been porting the LS6 intake for strokers, all-bores, and stage 2 H/C packages with big cams. At first a few shops tried porting the LS6 intake but they also lost power, got minimal gains, and or gained but also lost power. I think a few shops have found a way to get about 10-15hp from porting the LS6 intake on H/C motors, but most shops aren't doing it.

Quick Reply: porting ls1 intake manifold?