Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trans Am fog lights HID problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Trans Am fog lights HID problem

Hey everyone
I'm installing DDM low/fog lights on my 2002 Trans Am and have run into a problem. While trying to get to my fog lights (I have failed at this so far) I've noticed that there is no bulb to "twist" out of the fog light housing. From what I can tell all it is is a smooth back with two wires coming out of it. I've been looking on here too and noticed that everyones lenses are plastic, whereas mine are glass (I know this bc one of them is cracked). So before I totally disassemble my car to get to these stupid fog lights, did the previous owner install aftermarket fogs? Here is a pic that I managed to get of the back side of my driver side fog light.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Those are aftermarket. They probably take a H3 bulb. You'll have to open them to check. Can you post a pic of the front?
Old 02-26-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks. I though something didn't look right haha

I actually want to replace the fog lights anyway. These are glass, so one of them just happens to be broke with a dime size hole in the lens. Any suggestions on what to buy to fit my 880 HID bulbs. I guess I could just buy some plastic stock ones...
Old 02-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Stock ones are expensive. There are plenty of aftermarket choices. However, the only one that I know of that uses an 880 bulb is the blazer projector fog light. It looks just like the 1998-2002 Camaro's projector fog light. Which means its smaller than the 1998-2202 Firebird reflector fog light so you'll have to get creative to fit it there an look good. It has good output though and is better than the aftermarket reflectors I've seen.

You can see some options in the Lighting FAQ and I think there was a recent thread too.

The aftermarket options I've seen that fit there and look right are generally reflectors with a conical beam pattern and use an H3 bulb. Putting HID in them will glare.

One guy did put in some Hella 90mm projectors there, but they use H9 bulbs.

You can get a new set of bulbs for your HID kit for $15 - $25 depending on where you look.

Quick Reply: Trans Am fog lights HID problem