PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock Retard on Deceleration...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Knock Retard on Deceleration...?

I'm tuning a 2012 Corvette Grand Sport. When I work with my timing tables, I actually sit and watch my timing histogram unfold in real time, viewing the "Last" cell entry, instead of filling in all data and then viewing the "Average". Every time there is a cell hit for knock retard, I pause the program and record it cumulatively in a separate Excel spreadsheet. After viewing a few hours of driving (which only takes about an hour at the "10" speed) I can see "hot spots" on the Excel spread sheet that I may roll back a degree or two. Areas that have all zeros, I might risk advancing a degree, then scanning again and watching for KR. It's time consuming, but a lot more accurate than just loading all data and looking for an average.
The odd thing that I notice is that sometimes after a fulll throttle run, when I let off the gas, I get a string of "ones" straight up the rpm column. That seems odd to me. Why would I get knock retard when I let OFF the throttle, decreasing cylinder pressure? Is this just a KR that the computer has learned, and is holding on to for another second?
Old 03-03-2012, 02:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 12 Grand sport knock tables are stupid sensative.Wouldn't boubt false knock on decel, ussually see a ton of it while driving under loads.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True. The stock timing curve creates KR peppered all over the histogram, even at 1,000 - 1600 rpm and relatively low cylinder fill. It was surprising to watch.

Quick Reply: Knock Retard on Deceleration...?