Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

D1SC noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 12:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D1SC noise

I have spent weeks chasing down issues with this thing. I bought this kit used with 800 miles on it, not sure if that is accurate but the kit seems to be in good condition. Here is some background/info on the kit.

D1SC head unit, currently using the 6 rib set up with the crank pully that attaches to the stock harmonic balancer, 60# Seimens, twin 4.5 intercoolers, Procharger surge valve. Stock LS1, shortie headers and stock Y pipe with SLP loudmouth catback, my tuner put an intial base supercharger tune on the ECU to support the injectors and procharger.

I have the PCV blocked off at the TB and ran a 3/8" hose to the inlet hat. My surge valve vacuum line ran to my brake booster hose so to the best of my knowledge all vacuum lines are run correctly. Surge valve is about 8-9" from the procharger. Also, the bolt heads in the butterfly are pointing in towards the head unit. The unit had a fresh oil change and is at max level.

The issue I'm having is the D1SC makes a TON of noise, I know they all make the rattle can noise but this thing is super loud and it reminds me of gear slap I've heard on other superchargers but much faster. I pulled the headunit off tonight and decided to check the pulley and shaft for play. The shaft does not pull in or out, absolutely no play. Side to side (same direction as the belt spins the pulley) there is a very small amount of play, you can't see the play with a naked eye but you can hear a "clang" inside the headunit when spinning it back and forth. Is this normal or possibly my noise issue? Ideas? Thoughts?

-Drew
Old 03-11-2012, 06:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post a video, its hard to gauge sound through a message... the D1 is pretty noisy. There will b slight play in the gears when you turn the pulley back and forth. Not much though. The Clank ur hearing is probably just the gears engaging eachother in between "slack". like i said. Post a video.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:07 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by allout06
Post a video, its hard to gauge sound through a message... the D1 is pretty noisy. There will b slight play in the gears when you turn the pulley back and forth. Not much though. The Clank ur hearing is probably just the gears engaging eachother in between "slack". like i said. Post a video.
I agree, more than likely it is just fine. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 03-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Launching!

Any of the tensioner brackets that are available will quieten the rattle sound down a touch....but its going to be loud....
Old 03-13-2012, 01:17 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's mine.... D1 with Aster's bracket and some people say it sounds like an F1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb2H-QL6NeQ
Old 03-13-2012, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my f1a got real loud when it failed
Old 03-13-2012, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Sorry guys I think I got a case of the pre-tune/not much procharger experience jitters. Spent some time with my tuner over the weekend and he said everything looks great and the procharger sounds better than the first time he heard it. I appreciate the advice and sharing your experience.

Thanks for the video Alchemist, I was able to hear that high pitched "tang" that was making me nervous with mine. You car looks amazing btw!

-Drew

Quick Reply: D1SC noise