Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New T/A owner (In Oklahoma)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New T/A owner (In Oklahoma)

Hey guys,

I created this account a little bit before I got my T/A. Was looking at some of the ones for sale on the forums here.

Went through with the purchase yesterday on a 01 with 75k mi.
Car is in good order overall, Interior was near perfect, the body is straight with a newer paint job that's good.
Took a risk because it's running rough on the lower rpm but its due to having a cam that it is not tuned for. (Atleast this is what I assume) It's running really rich atm. I'm not an expert on cars but have a decent understanding and I've dreamt of having T/A since watching Smokey and the Bandit since I was little.

Has Pacesetter headers but the exhaust is older and has leaks so I've immediately ordered a new Pacesetter y-pipe and full Magnaflow catback. (dual tips of course ) Also, I'm putting in new plugs and wires. Everything else appears stock.

Will install next week and then have it tuned afterwards and I'm hoping to see mid 300 rwhp or more.

Cosmetically I intend to get the front license plate filler with the bird painted black, as well as do a black stripe with the ram air logo down the side of the snorkle and paint the Trans Am logo black. At some point, when I get money again, I heard the Torque Thrust 18" wheels look amazing on these cars and depending how that goes I'll probably lower it with Eibach springs.

Any comments or advice would be welcome and appreciated!

Pic's below. These are the Photo's right after purchase. I probably won't take anymore until I do the cosmetic changes excluding the wheels.
Attached Thumbnails New T/A owner (In Oklahoma)-trans-am-3.jpg   New T/A owner (In Oklahoma)-trans-am-2.jpg   New T/A owner (In Oklahoma)-trans-am.jpg   New T/A owner (In Oklahoma)-img_20120323_121210.jpg   New T/A owner (In Oklahoma)-img_20120323_113427.jpg  

New T/A owner (In Oklahoma)-img_20120323_113444.jpg  

Last edited by RedBird92; 03-26-2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Couple new pic's after I had the exhaust put on.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

Welcome. And if you find 18in torq thrust ii without custom ordering them, let me know where.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1994_383_Z28
Welcome. And if you find 18in torq thrust ii without custom ordering them, let me know where.
Will do good sir.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Talking Dyno'd today. 393rwhp

Just got the car dyno'd today so I'd know officially what it is I bought and what it can do. I was pleasantly suprised

Heads are stock, gears are stock (3.23), the modifications seem to be a 3500 stall and a 'mild' cam and it's probably been port/polished because I really don't know how it could put these numbers down otherwise.

I think I'll leave it be mechanically, perhaps later I'll throw the 3.7's on the rear end but for now I'm out of cash and content on that end. Just needs to start doing some minor cosmetic upgrades.

Pic below!!

Edit: I'm told I have a spark issue when it peaks so I'll look into it (hence the wobbly line). Just put new msd wires on it with the plugs so it's possible something is lose. He said that could bring it to right on 400rwhp
Attached Thumbnails New T/A owner (In Oklahoma)-reed.jpg  

Last edited by RedBird92; 03-26-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:06 AM

Wow that seems high for just a cam and exhaust but that's awesome. My ls1 loves those msd wires.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Not sure if I should start a thread in the maintenance area but if anyone else would have a guess to why I'm losing spark or what would be causing the wobble I'd greatly appreciate the input.

I noticed the car stutters a bit when I coast (ex: let off the gas to turn off on an exit) but stops as soon as I make the slightest touch the break or accelerator so I'm wondering if that is related.

I was also told that I should get GM sensors with extensions and dump the Bosch's on em.