Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock rocker going loose?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 12:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock rocker going loose?

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is a common thing or not, but my motor is stock, and I was driving around two days ago, in a parking lot at 15KM/H I might add, I had not even had the car past 3000RPM that whole day; but with my windows down, I started to hear a small tick (kind of like "Piston slap") which rapidly increased to a very distinctive valve train tick. I immediately headed home, but on my way, my SES light began blinking, which worried me (one of the cylinders was no longer firing). When it was all said and done, it was my rocker arm nut that had come almost completely off. I put on some thread locker and torqued it to 22 ft.lbs. I was just curious if this was a common, or normal occurrence? the lack of RPM boggled me, but I'm assuming that over time the vibration will get the best of the stock torque setting, and that nut will back right off. Anyway, I was just curious.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It happened to me on my old 346 modded motor WITH thread locker. Just cleaned it up and more TL and was good... My bone stock 233k 5.3 truck motor is stilll dead silent. I wouldn't sweat it and the blue thread locker is a good call. Keep an ear out but no worries if I were you..
Old 03-18-2012, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay cool, thanks a lot man. How modded was the LS1?