Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 L33 Conversion - AFM

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 L33 Conversion - AFM

Hello,

Newbie post here. Want to thank you all in advance for your responses and knowledge!

Have a 2006 GMC Sierra with the L33 5.3L. Has been an excellent daily driver/tow rig for years. Loads of miles and still running strong, am now contemplating a future rebuild of the 5.3L.

I know Active Fuel Management was not available in 2006 GM full size trucks, but I have read different posts with differing opinions as to whether or not the L33 had provisions in place for Active Fuel Management. I'm wondering if it's possible and/or feasibile to consider converting this engine to have AFM?

Fuelling, timing and LOMA control would be another whole topic, but can does the block have provisions for - and could it even accept - the AFM hardware? (lifters ect..)

Thanks!

FYI:
2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE ext. cab, short box. L33 5.3L, Auto.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 06SierraL33

Have a 2006 GMC Sierra with the L33 5.3L. Has been an excellent daily driver/tow rig for years. Loads of miles and still running strong, am now contemplating a future rebuild of the 5.3L.

I know Active Fuel Management was not available in 2006 GM full size trucks, but I have read different posts with differing opinions as to whether or not the L33 had provisions in place for Active Fuel Management. I'm wondering if it's possible and/or feasibile to consider converting this engine to have AFM?

Fuelling, timing and LOMA control would be another whole topic, but can does the block have provisions for - and could it even accept - the AFM hardware? (lifters ect..)

Thanks!

FYI:
2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE ext. cab, short box. L33 5.3L, Auto.
The L33 motor is a Gen III block and has no provisions for AFM. Meaning the AFM oil post are not even cast into the block under the valley cover. Gen IV blocks did appear in the full size trucks till 2007.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replying to an ancient thread....My 2005 L33 block has provisions cast into the block for the afm oiling to the lifters, no holes are drilled into the provisions but I don't see why you couldn't drill the holes, use a afm valley cover, convert the crank to a 58x, front cover to a front cam sensor style with a 4 reluctor gear with single bolt cam....since the afm motors were gen 4 style. Lot of work for a system that fails often with the lifters getting stuck!

Quick Reply: 2006 L33 Conversion - AFM