PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning WOT a/f: linear or richen near peak TQ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 01:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Tuning WOT a/f: linear or richen near peak TQ?

In my tuning books, it is mentioned that a/f tuning for WOT should richen the mixture near where the engine makes peak TQ, then lean back out to desired a/f ratio.

stoich (at cruise)---power enrich on WOT (~12.8)---fatten near peak torque---lean back out for peak HP (~12.8)

But on nearly all dyno sheets I see from professional shops, the a/f is set to be a constant.

Which is the preferred method? Is there really a benefit of being a little richer for better peak torque before leaning out to ideal a/f for HP?
Old 03-21-2012, 06:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found that most combinations want to be richer just before and at peak torque - generally around 12.5... The key is to optimize the timing and AFR to get the most torque and horsepower out of the given combination - that takes time and effort to find out what each one wants.

Also, it is important to work on getting the most area under the curve - not just the peak points. As a car accelerates, it is only at the peak points for a very short time - if you work to find out what the combination wants to make the most torque/power under the entire curve, you will have a quicker car...

There are some combinations that want a relatively flat AFR curve... or dyno graphs can be that way because the tuner is inexperienced/lazy or they are using a tailpipe sniffer wideband that isn't accurate enough to show the difference...
Old 03-22-2012, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Thank you for the post. That helps explain some of the thoughts I was having.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO - most of those charts you see coming out of shops are flat because it's all about the money...and time = money. Tuning doesn't bring in the big bucks for a shop. So, getting cars in and out quickly is how they avoid taking a loss on the job. Sad, but true...as I said, IMO.

Personally, I think of richening up at peak torque to be a bit of a safety feature. If you end up gaining a little from it as well, awesome. From my understanding, that's when cylinder pressures are highest. Having a little extra padding in that part of the curve is always a good idea.

Quick Reply: Tuning WOT a/f: linear or richen near peak TQ?