Gun Owners/sellers, please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gun Owners/sellers, please help

I want to trade a handgun that i have. The trade will take place here in Texas, what do i need in order to do so. Am i legally require to do a background check? I've tried looking this up but havent found anything usefull yet. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:40 PM
ppp
Launching!

If you are trading to a resident of Texas you don't have to do anything as a private individual, as far as I know. I've bought and sold guns as a private citizen quit a bit.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Drivers license number and bill of sale should get you covered! Just in case they ever try report the guy you got in trade as stolen
Old 03-21-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah a bill of sell for you and him (if he wants one) and his DL number wouldnt hurt just to cover your *** (but it is not required that is just in case he decides to go out and murder someone or do something stupid with it). your not expected to do a backround check. texas gun laws are pretty sweet.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just so you don't have a doubt about the person being a US citizen, and not a felon you can just trade.

The bill of sale but it isn't necessary, but its an attempted CYA deal. Some go a step further and only deal with CHL holders. Honestly, if the gun is reported as stolen, no one will know or have proof that you have it because there is no paperwork. If it was used in a crime there will be no trace to where it went either. If someone official asks you, you can just explain that you traded for it. Nothing they will really do about it either way except ask you to turn it in if you admit to having it. You did everything legal and even buying used from a FFL won't even protect you from that. On another local board a guy was contacted by the law about a rifle he bought from a liscensed dealer that was reported stolen later. They wen't to him because of the papertrail so he loses the gun and $. I've bought, sold, and traded several times with just a handshake at the end. The less paperwork the better IMO.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 03-21-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys. Plan fell through but I'll keep this in mind either way. Anyone work at Costco? Haha