Sponsored by:

I am stumped need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am stumped need help

Hi All,

I have transplanted an Corvette Ls2 into a miata and rove it with no issues all last year then put the car away for the winter. I moved some wires around and put the PCM from the engine compartment to under the dash. No big deal.

The problem is the car will not not run for more than 2 minutes. It starts then dies. If I try the throttle it works and revs but then dies immediately. So this tells me the computer is not fried. The problem is the ODBII port will not give me any signal or codes at all it just says error. I have checked continuity of all of the wires including ground, power and Hi and Lo bus and all are fine from the odbII input to the pin connectors so the plug is working.

How can an ODBII not work and yet the car can start but not run? If the computer were fried I could see the port not working but then how does the car start?

I so need some help and direction on this one.

Thank you.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sutol1
Hi All,

I have transplanted an Corvette Ls2 into a miata and rove it with no issues all last year then put the car away for the winter. I moved some wires around and put the PCM from the engine compartment to under the dash. No big deal.

The problem is the car will not not run for more than 2 minutes. It starts then dies. If I try the throttle it works and revs but then dies immediately. So this tells me the computer is not fried. The problem is the ODBII port will not give me any signal or codes at all it just says error. I have checked continuity of all of the wires including ground, power and Hi and Lo bus and all are fine from the odbII input to the pin connectors so the plug is working.

How can an ODBII not work and yet the car can start but not run? If the computer were fried I could see the port not working but then how does the car start?

I so need some help and direction on this one.

Thank you.

check your fuses. i've seen lack of scanner comms caused by a blown fuse.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Good thought but my ODBII is not fused. Direct power to the fuse panel with a spade connector.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

your computer could very well still be fried.if you have another computer handy id try it, but i would double check everything again
Old 03-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Teching In

so are you saying the computer can be fried but the car can still fire up? That actually would be great news as least that is an answer if that is possible.

Is it?