Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need opinion on lifter quality after a mishap

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 01:28 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need opinion on lifter quality after a mishap

So last June my motor decided that it really wanted to be a blender and mix coolant and oil. Well we initially thought the heads had lifted. So off they came, surfaced them new gaskets and head studs. a few oil change cycles, and then ran the car. Didn't fix problem, at that point I knew I had cracked the block somewhere.
Now the car was drained again, and sat for some time until about 3 weeks ago. The "repair" was done in say August/September. My question, should I replace the lifters? I had bought ls7 lifters back in 2010, when I did a cam/head swap and then added the turbo. The mileage was probably 2k miles of fun before it took a crap on me. I don't mind spending the coin to avoid any potential issues, but if it not necessary then I'd rather not spend it. (just like anyone else, I suppose)
The lifters look fine, but that's the thing. If they look "fine", that may not always be the case. Need some opinions. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You could disassemble, clean, inspect and reassemble the lifters. I would keep the parts particular to each lifter seperated and reinstall them in the same hole.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgot to mention..old LS1 block is trash. So it was replaced for the time being with a 5.3 lm7. So wouldn't be putting the lifetrs back in the same place. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Roller lifters do not mate to the cam like flat tappets do, so mixing up positions is just fine.