Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Does this even sound fair?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this even sound fair?

I bought a PTE 62/62 less than 3 months ago. It had been rebuilt by precision back in August and hadn't been run until I purchased it in December. I think I have everything set up correctly. I used a GM oil distribution block just above the oil filter to feed both turbo's. I used -4 lines to feed them. I used a -10 drain line that perfectly drains to the front of my oil pan.

I drive it on the street and always let it warm up before driving. I was told by precision that even though it is under manufactures warranty that the turbo went bad because I wasn't letting the car idle for 2-3 minutes prior to turning it off. This is what I was told for just normal driving. My issue is I bought it for $525 because it had the warranty. They want $500 to fix it and I have only had it for 3 months and set everything up like I was told.

Anyone else think this is BS or do you really need to let a car idle for 2-3 minutes after taking the kids to school of normal driving? What I find interesting is my other turbo is completely fine. That doesn't make sense to me.

FWIW. It only has 2 drag passes on it and about 1500 miles and is 3 months old. Any advice? I bought it from a sponsor on yellow bullet.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's bull, you shouldn't have to let it idle for that long. I only let it run for about a minute after beating the **** out of it. Is it water cooled?
Old 04-01-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're blowing smoke up your ***, if you have the owner's manual, read it and see what it says, I'm sure you can find it online. I'd ask to speak with someone other than a typical phone answering person, ask to speak to a supervisor or something. That is completely illogical.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

sell the good one and buy a pair of ebay turbos. no money out of pocket.

but that is dirty that they wouldnt honor their warranty
Old 04-01-2012, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

I would be pissed off.. Idk what else to say.. You talk to the high up guys there?
Old 04-01-2012, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have not spoke with any high up guys yet. I think tomorrow I will talk with a superviser. I just think if I buy a turbo and it lasts 3 months and I installed everything like I was supposed to that it should fall under the warranty. I couldn't find anywhere that the instructions said that you need to let it idle down for 2-3 minutes before shut off. I didn't want to be a jerk until I got some other opinions but I think if you buy something under warranty and it only runs three months after only 2 drag strip passes it should be fixed with no money out of my pocket. I just wanted to make sure from everyone that I wasn't crazy or something.

I call back and see what they say tomorrow.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

And for $525, I'd just buy another one instead of having that one fixed, you got any turbo shops in your area? There's a place close to me in Paducah Kentucky called Diesel Power, they have pretty advanced machinery and can rebuild any turbo not just diesel. One of my friends does tractor pulling with an alcohol engine and they rebuilt both of his turbos, one about 4 years ago and the other this winter. The turbo they rebuilt this winter was a custom spec'd HX80, it cost them $1200 to rebuild. A turbo shop may be cheaper than the manufacturer.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so one turbo is good and the other is shot? Well that blows the oil coking issue they wanna sell you on out of the water. With that little run time on it, oil coking wouldnt even happen enough to cause an issue that wasnt already there.
id want pictures and a detailed failure analysis before id give them a penny more but im a ***** lol
Old 04-01-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just a fyi, the last turbo i had rebuilt. the motor had toasted a ringland and oil consumption was insane, over a quart every couple hundred miles. the turbo was coked like hell but it had been run about 7k miles with the major oil issue so unless you have something severe wrong with your oil setup id say they pork it during the rebuild.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

More important than anything.

You need to fully test and ensure you have adequate oil flow regardless of whether you think it should be fine.

And as Bill says...it is just a single unit that has failed or both ?

Last edited by stevieturbo; 04-01-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I forget the name, but I know of a local guy that had a similar situation from some company on the bullet that is supposedly "the ****" and they fucked him over the same way. he had 2 brand new turbos, finished his build a few months after purchase. one was bad right off the rip. they said he did everything wrong when the turbo went bad literally just off of start up and letting it get up to temp a few times in his garage. not even running....

Good luck, but us little guys always get fucked over it seems like. even when it's a "reputable" company.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my precision turbo, but I know their warranty is about a joke.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I tried everything and it looks like I am forking out $500 to get this thing fixed. They seem to have me and not much I can do. Just a bad deal. I just hope I don't have anymore issues with it. I guess I will be let the car idle a couple minutes now each time after driving.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

so did you tell them you didnt let it idle or did they just assume it?
Old 04-02-2012, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
so did you tell them you didnt let it idle or did they just assume it?
They asked how I was driving my car. Asked if I let it idle down after cruising around on the street. I said No. No reason to lie. I was never told I needed to except for racing it. I was told driving it back to the pits would cool it down. Lesson learned. I don't like it. But I am fine with it as long as it doesn't break again. I will let it idle down a couple minutes prior to shut off each time now.

There goes my awesome fuel mileage. lol
Old 04-02-2012, 11:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get a Viper alarm or something like that with a turbo timer. You can press a button and the timer engages in the control module, you shut the ignition off get out, lock doors/set alarm and the car runs for a preset amount of time then shuts off. The alarm is set and you're good to go. While the car is running with the turbo timer, if something sets off the alarm the engine instantly shuts off and the control module locks out the starting abilities until you reset the alarm with the keyfob.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

id see about adding or going with a set of turbos with a water cooled center section... itll cut down on the time you'd have to let the car cool down..
personally, doesnt seem like it was something you did to cause the failure but such is life.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:44 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

I dont know. I think that is kind of bullshit. I dont see factory turbo cars idling everywhere to cool the turbos. Both the Sprinter van and the E350 van I had as work vehicles NEVER got idled down. Like do you realistically think that you worked the turbos that hard when you pulled into the driveway that they needed cooldown time??? THis is what i am just thinking. I couldnt tell you how many times i pulled into my driveway with the sprinter on the hottest summer days after driving two straight hours on the speed limiter (133km/h) and just shutting it off. Lots and lots of times. Like i said i think they are full of crap. Sorry about your luck. I love your chevelle. How did you find the mileage to be?
Old 04-03-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSZ
I dont know. I think that is kind of bullshit. I dont see factory turbo cars idling everywhere to cool the turbos. Both the Sprinter van and the E350 van I had as work vehicles NEVER got idled down. Like do you realistically think that you worked the turbos that hard when you pulled into the driveway that they needed cooldown time??? THis is what i am just thinking. I couldnt tell you how many times i pulled into my driveway with the sprinter on the hottest summer days after driving two straight hours on the speed limiter (133km/h) and just shutting it off. Lots and lots of times. Like i said i think they are full of crap. Sorry about your luck. I love your chevelle. How did you find the mileage to be?
both of those vehicles use a water cooled turbo which keeps it below the coking threshold for the most part.if his are oil cooled only it has the potential to reach the coking threshold but this is something that happens after many thousands of miles if things are happy in the motor....
i totally agree on everything else you said though, it is BS.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think this stinks to high hell also. That is absurd about letting it cool after just normal driving. I can see beating the snot out of it but not just normal driving.

I beat on my Precision TE44 on my Grand National like it owed me money and it never failed. Sounds like something wasn't right when it was built.

If they won't do anything to work with you on this, I would make sure it was the last dime they got out of me. I would buy another brand of turbo. Talk to some of the sponsors on here and see what they can do for you.

Quick Reply: Does this even sound fair?