Sponsored by:

Name that knock

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Name that knock

Long time lurker first time poster....

First some background. After roughly 2 years stored in my garage (would start car about once a quarter and let idle to normal temp range then turn off) I decided to try and get my '01 WS6 back out on the road. Car had not been started since Oct./Nov. time frame. Charged the battery. Checked the oil/steering fluid/brake fluid. Oil was a little low but still with in oper. range. Turned key on and off a few times allow fuel pressure to build then turned the engine over and it fired up. Let it idle to running temp all the while listening to the tick-tick-tick of the lifters like it's had for a while now. It idled rough as to be expected.

After 15-20 minutes of idling I decided to take some old oil from a recent oil change (5w30 mobil 1) and pour alittle in while it was running to bring the lvl up some. Shortly after that I heard the knocking noise shown in the video.

I then decided to siphon out all the old gas out/change fuel filter, change oil/filter in hopes that bad gas was causing the knocking. While I had the fuel pump fuse out I turned the engine over many times and did not hear any knocking just typical engine turning over noise.

Added 5 gals of new gas w/ approx 8oz of seafoam

Put fuel pump fuse back in fired up heard knock again.
Pulled fuel pump fuse again fired it up and let it run out of gas. Heard knock and while engine was dying heard rubbing sound kinda like something stuck in vacuum beater bar when you turn it off.
Turned it over again with fuel pump fuse still out no knocking.

Symptoms I saw.

Some water dripping occasionally out of tail pipe.
Water was black in color and did not feel oily. (May have been from old gas?)
Light white/grey colored smoke coming out of exhaust. It was not a lot. I'm thinking it's probably due to seafoam. Did not have smoke proir to oil/gas change.

http://youtu.be/rkZAzcSxQn0
Old 04-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Teching In

2nd video

http://youtu.be/wtnnObvbPpQ
Old 04-02-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thats a spun rod bearing man no if's ands or buts about it. How low was the oil on the dipstick usually running a little low wont hurt anything but you never know also the oil you added in may have had some contaminants in it. Although both those things are small chances, I would bank on that the car has just sat for so long the motor just may have let go its hard to say.

How is the oil pressure you may had a failing pump and that caused it. Either way DO NOT run the car anymore, right now you may get away with a simple over size bearing and polished crank journal with a standard rebuild but if you keep running it and it completely lets go you may be in the market for a new block. Best bet is to pull the motor and start tearing it down...
Old 04-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply!

Oil level was still in the operation range on the dipstick but it was on the low end of the operating range.

The oil pressure when I had it running was constant 40psi at idle and if I would press the gas it would rise. Spun bearing seems to be the consensus I put the same post over at LS1.com

How much would that run on average from a shop to fix? I know they will have to pull the engine.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DefelRadar
Thanks for the reply!

Oil level was still in the operation range on the dipstick but it was on the low end of the operating range.

The oil pressure when I had it running was constant 40psi at idle and if I would press the gas it would rise. Spun bearing seems to be the consensus I put the same post over at LS1.com

How much would that run on average from a shop to fix? I know they will have to pull the engine.

mine sounded the same way ended up being a rod and bearing
Old 04-02-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

for everything assuming the block isnt hurt to bad i'd say 3-4k however I think your best bet would be to find a long or shortblock ls1 on here and just swap all of your accessories onto it and call it a day itd be much cheaper.