Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

red/blue harness question???

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default red/blue harness question???

I have a take out LS1 from a 2003 vette with a blue/red PCM connector. Lt1swap shows the blue/red connector going from 99-02 and the 03-07 using the blue/green pcm connector.

http://www.lt1swap.com/2000harness.htm

So is the color of the connectors more important than the model/year of the car they were out of? Do I just use the info and wiring diagrams for the red/blue connector and forget the year. To complicate things even more, I have confirmed my PCM has the chip to run this drive by cable which should be a 03 computer. So how does a blue/red harness come on a 2003 computer and car?

I am confused! Help please!

Mike
Old 04-06-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Read the side of your PCM, the colors should be stenciled there in black. GM used the 411 computers on cars and trucks, just rearranged the pinouts to suit the year model and needs...

T,
Old 04-06-2012, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Tom for the reply!

The computer also says blue/red. What is confusing is the LT1swap diagrams say this engine/ PCM combo should never have been in a 2003 vette. As I am installing this engine in a Cobra replica I have some major mods to do to the harness. I can't do the mods until I am sure which wiring diagram to use.

The only issue is making sure I am using the correct schematic to modify my harness. So are ALL blue/red harnesses and PCM's exactly the same?

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-06-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks Tom for the reply!

The computer also says blue/red. What is confusing is the LT1swap diagrams say this engine/ PCM combo should never have been in a 2003 vette. As I am installing this engine in a Cobra replica I have some major mods to do to the harness. I can't do the mods until I am sure which wiring diagram to use.

The only issue is making sure I am using the correct schematic to modify my harness. So are ALL blue/red harnesses and PCM's exactly the same?
The info for the pinouts covers truck applications specifically, which are 99-02 for the red/blue connector PCM. The 2003 Vette ALSO used the same 12200411 PCM. The pinouts are similar, stuff like injector control, coil control, sensor signals, will all be in the same location. What does move, is the 5 volt reference or ground references to some of the sensors. The PCM has multiple 5v and Ground references for sensors. The 5v reference for the map sensor maybe in a different spot on the PCM for a vette vs a truck. The important thing to remember here, is if you use the truck pcm pinout to depin a vette harness, if you get to a 5volt ref or low ref that is labeled to remove because you don't need it, you better make sure its not actually a 5volt ref for something you need.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Exactly what I needed. Thanks so much.

Quick Reply: red/blue harness question???