Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR/AIR removal questions (yes another thread)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default EGR/AIR removal questions (yes another thread)

Right now I have headers with AIR/EGR, but eventually I want to get rid of that once I get better headers (race version). I also have the SLP LS6 intake with the EGR hole, but I'll be selling that since I have a LS6 intake out of my 02 Z28. Since I will be getting new headers and swapping in a 02 LS1 LS6 intake does that mean I won't need ANY kind of block off plates?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

correct when you change you headers and intake you wont need any plates you will need to have the parameters adjusted in your tune to make sure you get no check engine light for A.I.R or EGR
Old 04-09-2012, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastazzls1
correct when you change you headers and intake you wont need any plates you will need to have the parameters adjusted in your tune to make sure you get no check engine light for A.I.R or EGR
Cool, now right now I'm tuned so say I get 1 7/8 headers will I need to get retuned because of the bigger size? What if I get the high quality 1 3/4 headers? Will I need a retune then?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:47 PM
11 Second Club

You'll probably throw the codes for missing the AIR/EGR, those will need tuned out if you want the SES light to go away. A retune would maybe net you a few more ponies for the bigger header size, but you'd probably be fine with your current tune if you don't care about the codes. Guys run untuned for years on here, so you're not going to be hurting as much from running rich since you've been tuned already for smaller headers. If you're going from 1 3/4 to 1 3/4 I don't see much change happening from a retune, other than the codes.

If you're going to upgrade headers, you might as well up the size to make the cost worth it IMO. I doubt you'll gain much going to a race version of the same size header.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:17 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02'Andy
You'll probably throw the codes for missing the AIR/EGR, those will need tuned out if you want the SES light to go away. A retune would maybe net you a few more ponies for the bigger header size, but you'd probably be fine with your current tune if you don't care about the codes. Guys run untuned for years on here, so you're not going to be hurting as much from running rich since you've been tuned already for smaller headers. If you're going from 1 3/4 to 1 3/4 I don't see much change happening from a retune, other than the codes.

If you're going to upgrade headers, you might as well up the size to make the cost worth it IMO. I doubt you'll gain much going to a race version of the same size header.

^^ He took the words right out of my mouth. Make it worth your while and money and up the size!!