Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Help! Froze cam plate bolts, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! Froze cam plate bolts, ideas?

I've broken four T40 bits trying to get the retention plate off for a cam swap in an LS7. The moron who did the last cam swap must have been a gorilla, in addition to using non-serviceable loctite. I'm hesitant to use too much heat, but it looks like I may have to. The bits are top quality, USA bits too. I spent an hour digging the broken end of one of them out already, don't want to do that again. I've tried using both propane and map gas. I've also tried using an impact tool (the kind you smack with a hammer). The block pulls the heat away pretty quick, but I'm not quite ready to get the rose bud out, as I don't want to get into cam bearing problems. Figured it was worth asking before I get too carried away. Anyone run into this before??
Old 04-13-2012, 05:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Dremel the heads off. The plate is so thick there will be plenty of material to grab onto with vicegrips once you get the cam plate off. Those bolts are super soft and shitty.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

As a next to last ditch deal I have hammered in the next size up torx bit into the retainer plate bolts and freed the bolts up. I've had a decent success rate removing over-torqued cam retainer bolts from backyard cam swaps this way. Using an impact with this method increases the success also.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Teching In

They are countersunk, so I can't really cut the heads off. These things are in harder than hell.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrew
They are countersunk, so I can't really cut the heads off. These things are in harder than hell.
Yes you can. Just dremel the centers of the heads, and the outside will fall off when you get in deep enough (countersunk). The screws are WAY softer then the plate. I've probably extracted 10-15 screws this way. A medium burr or 5/16 drill bit makes short work of them
Old 04-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Teching In

I was able to use a chisel on one bolt, smacking it loose. The other I ended up drilling out. I used a 1/2" bit to hack the majority of the head off, then I ran a 5/16" in a half inch. I then pried the plate over the remnants of the bolt head. Destroyed the plate, unfortunately. Some people, and this D.B. is a professional tuner who "specializes" in vette engine mods. The pinhead didn't even install the valve springs correctly and I had a whopping 85 pounds of seat.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:22 PM
8 Second Club

They are a special bit called Torx Plus. Notice they are slightly rounded on the corners. GM and ATI use these special little guys.
I have been there several times with previous "tuners" At this point you will likely have to be creative to get them out. Go ahead and pick up new screws and a new plate. Heat from a propane torch or a high powered heat gun will help. A chisel, and or a punch and hammer will get them out if the Torx Plus heads are stripped. The new screws will have the loctite already applied.
Without proper shimming and checking, a lot of LS7's get setup with the wrong spring pressure.

Quick Reply: Help! Froze cam plate bolts, ideas?