Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it really that loud?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default is it really that loud?

i was told that a Corsa Catback system, you know the one with the 3.5 dual tips ;is very loud and not in a good way especially with headers is this true??
Old 04-15-2012, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

youtube is a great place to get exhaust ideas or i think ls1sound.com
Old 04-15-2012, 09:35 AM
12 Second Club

loudness is subjective. i have kooks headers and kooks dual exhaust with no cats and it just sounds good to me.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thegroup
youtube is a great place to get exhaust ideas or i think ls1sound.com
thanks
Old 04-15-2012, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

are u wanting the stupid loud or a good sound loud?
Old 04-15-2012, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

I'm currently running the Corsa with 3.5" tips. It's mated up to ARH 1 7/8" headers and a 3" Y with no cats. Compared to catbacks I've had on other vehicles, and seen on friends cars, the Corsa is interesting.

To answer your question, yes, it's loud, but that really only happens at WOT or hard acceleration. Corsa designed this system specifically to cut out and tone down any droning. From my experience with it so far, when the RPMs are under 2,000, there's no drone, and the exhaust is fairly quiet. Now when I get over 2,000, it starts to get louder (and without cats, has a sort of rattled tone until you hit WOT). At WOT, the Corsa absolutely screams, but I wouldn't label it as a trashy sound or anything. Like any loud exhaust, it just takes a little getting used to.

I'll do you a favor for the youtube search. I searched for a long time to find good LS1 Corsa videos, and I put a playlist together back when I was shopping for my exhaust. Here's the link for that list.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7D0616DB4BC7BE07

From that list, video 14, CodeRed1.mpeg is probably the closest to what mine sounds like with no cats and headers. The idle sounds exactly the same, and the WOT pull sounds a little louder than it really is because of the enclosed trees along the road. If I get a chance sometime soon I'll try to get a couple decent videos from my specific setup to add.

My only advice after running this system for a little while, is running a catted-Y would probably make it sound a little cleaner.

Last edited by 02'Andy; 04-15-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02'Andy
I'm currently running the Corsa with 3.5" tips. It's mated up to ARH 1 7/8" headers and a 3" Y with no cats. Compared to catbacks I've had on other vehicles, and seen on friends cars, the Corsa is interesting.

To answer your question, yes, it's loud, but that really only happens at WOT or hard acceleration. Corsa designed this system specifically to cut out and tone down any droning. From my experience with it so far, when the RPMs are under 2,000, there's no drone, and the exhaust is fairly quiet. Now when I get over 2,000, it starts to get louder (and without cats, has a sort of rattled tone until you hit WOT). At WOT, the Corsa absolutely screams, but I wouldn't label it as a trashy sound or anything. Like any loud exhaust, it just takes a little getting used to.

I'll do you a favor for the youtube search. I searched for a long time to find good LS1 Corsa videos, and I put a playlist together back when I was shopping for my exhaust. Here's the link for that list.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7D0616DB4BC7BE07

From that list, video 14, CodeRed1.mpeg is probably the closest to what mine sounds like with no cats and headers. The idle sounds exactly the same, and the WOT pull sounds a little louder than it really is because of the enclosed trees along the road. If I get a chance sometime soon I'll try to get a couple decent videos from my specific setup to add.

My only advice after running this system for a little while, is running a catted-Y would probably make it sound a little cleaner.
thanks man for the videos
Old 04-15-2012, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thegroup
are u wanting the stupid loud or a good sound loud?
the good sound loud
Old 04-15-2012, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

It will be loud as hell, comparing it to the stock system. Running Headers with no cats and a Corsa catback system is Loud, you'll be drawing attention from the cops.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by UAE_Z28
It will be loud as hell, comparing it to the stock system. Running Headers with no cats and a Corsa catback system is Loud, you'll be drawing attention from the cops.
Pretty much any exhaust is louder than the stock systems on our cars. I've driven beside cops around town here with my setup though and haven't had any problems. I just have to keep the throttle under control around them, nothing hard. I would suggest cats to anyone else though. Especially if your inspection is anything more than just checking the OBDII like DE is for newer cars.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

I ended up ordering the magnaflow catback exhaust with the 4.0" quad tips. im going to have kooks 1 3/4 headers, along with the kooks catted y pipe also installed so im hoping it will still sound awsome. part # 16723
Old 04-15-2012, 03:22 PM
11 Second Club

It should. Even with headers, magnaflows are on the quieter end of the spectrum, but they still sound great at WOT. I run a magnaflow system on my truck and like it. I've also heard them on a 3rd gen z28 and a 2003 cobra. They sound good all around.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

I was running that on my 00 z28 with SLP LT and gutted cats and it sounded awesome. If I was going to go back to a standard cat back, that's what I would do again