Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transgo = delayed 2-3? + MPH vs RPM upshift question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transgo = delayed 2-3? + MPH vs RPM upshift question

I recently had a trans built and a transgo shift kit was part of the build. When picking up the finished car/trans I was told that it did not want to shift on the 2-3 and was banging the limiter, most likely because the transgo kit requires the commanded 2-3 shift RPM to be much lower than the desired shift RPM. Has anyone heard of this? I was told to try commanding 6000 RPM's, since I wanted to shift at 6600 on the 2-3. Tried it, didn't work. Kept trying lower RPM's at the track and dropped it to as low as 5000 RPM's commanded, still didn't work and nailed the limiter at 6900.

Second question, meeting MPH requirements for WOT upshift. I read somewhere that you can just set the WOT MPH requirements at 0 and it will always meet the requirements and shift at the desired RPM. Any truth to that? I would try it, but the car is down after losing 4th gear. I've also been told that the MPH possibly has to be within a realistic range of the shift RPM ..not sure what to believe? Any help is appreciated!
Old 04-17-2012, 01:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Heres the deal

1) The computer must that both the VSS and RPM thresholds have been met, to command the shift. So yes theoretically if you set the VSS to 1, it would then command the shift at the RPM value in the table.

2) You need to log WHEN the 2-3 shift is commanded. Select the PID and do a datalog. That's simply all you have to do to see when it is trying to shift. This will tell you if its mechanical or in the tune.

3) 8/10 times people screw up the Transgo install and cause this problem. I would NEVER take a stock 4L60E to have a "shift kit" put in it. You first of all need someone knowledgeable with them. Every time I have seen someone try to throw some random half *** parts in a stock 4L60E in hopes of making it live, they actually make the problem worse and end up putting a transmission in it shortly thereafter. Unfortunately it sounds like you're headed down that very road.

4) Once you smoke the 2-3 clutches good and hard 1-2 times, they are DONE. I bet your direct clutches are fried and nothing you do will fix it at this point.

You have a mechanical issue! I'm sorry to say it...

If it shifted before you had the work done, how could it be the tune?

The fact that the installer said it needs a lower MPH commanded for the 2-3 shift is pure ignorance, and just adds to my belief that he probably fucked up the install.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see where you said you had the trans "built".

Is it a reputable builder?

Everything I said still applies, even more so actually. I would trust a STOCK 4L60E long before I would a rebuild by a no name shop.

This simply is not a basic trans like a TH350 that you can just buy a dvd or book for and be good to go. 4L60Es are very finnicky, and most of the time these LOCAL rebuilds do not go well.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very common see this all the time.... a well built trans will hit the next gear instantly once the VSS and RPM parameters are met.....
Old 04-17-2012, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
I see where you said you had the trans "built".

Is it a reputable builder?

Everything I said still applies, even more so actually. I would trust a STOCK 4L60E long before I would a rebuild by a no name shop.

This simply is not a basic trans like a TH350 that you can just buy a dvd or book for and be good to go. 4L60Es are very finnicky, and most of the time these LOCAL rebuilds do not go well.
Alright here goes..

The trans is built a someone who is/was supposedly* reputable, he runs/builds promod drag car trannies which we all know make upwards of 2k horsepower. A 60e(which he supposedly* specializes in) for a car making 400 hp should be a breeze for him, at least you'd think so right? After sharing my build receipt with someone who is very reputable, he was not impressed the least bit with the parts used.

Now I'm out the cost of the build + the cost of another build, it's under warranty ..but what good is a warranty if the same crappy parts are going to be thrown back in it, know what I mean? Luckily I have recently met a builder who actually knows his stuff and is willing to help me out.

As for the 3-4 clutch pack being toast, you nailed it. The trans lasted 2 passes on the street and 3 at the track. They kept trying to say it was the tune, I have went over the tune multiple times and if the theory is true about the MPH being as low as possible(had 2-3 set as low as 20 mph, so it should have met the requirements without question) then there is no way that the tune is the issue.

Thank you for the replies and clearing this up!
Old 04-17-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the transmissions I have built, modifications to both the pump output rate, and how the 3-4 is setup is very critical!!!!

ON EVERY trans I tear down that has a 2-3 shift delay/flare, the 3-4 pack is well past .100 clearance...

With your car being cammed and shift points at 6,500+ the pump if not modified creates lots of issues...transgo kits do nothing for that..parts need to be ordered separate.

Also if any part in the 3-4 clutch set was re-used such as the pressure plate or backing plate this can cause uneven apply..Or sometimes people will use really thin pressure plates that flex and cause 3-4 failure
Old 04-17-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, give the 60e another chance after a quality build...5 passes...really? I see the way you drive....Your easy on your car other then racing it at the track.....

For every complaint on a 60e they now have fixes for it ....a transgo kit does not adress half of these issues

Quick Reply: Transgo = delayed 2-3? + MPH vs RPM upshift question