LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

CORRECTION: tapping coming from both tailpipes..

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 12:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CORRECTION: tapping coming from both tailpipes..

Correction from prior post...2006 impala SS, tapping/rattling is coming from both tailpipes at idle. As revs go up it goes away. Not so sure it is a muffler now...could it be the resonator?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Could be.. or the cat. I guess it could even be coming from the exhaust manifolds or anywhere in between... you could get the car up in the air with it running and try tapping around on ur exhaust with a rubber mallet to try and narrow down where its coming from or u may just get luckily and be able to zero in on the sound while its idling.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Yep, has a date with a lift on Monday. I really hope it isn't the cat, it isn't throwing any codes though...wouldn't the cat throw one? Assuming it is the resonator I'm just going to delete it. Like I said, 2006 with 96k and its the stock exhaust, so its probably due for some work.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

If it was clogged up or not working how its supposed to, it should throw a code... but i could see having a piece that came loose and is just rattling or made its way into the resonator, flappin' in the wind so to speak. I'm assuming your taking it to an exhaust shop? If they end up replacing your cat don't let them "dispose" of your old one for you! It's worth some money.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Could it be the exhaust hangers getting loose and allowing the muffler to vibrate against the rear bumper cover?

That happened to mine and I would only hear it at odd times although usually only ever at idle..

Wes
Old 04-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Launching!

Does the noise stop after 1500-2000 rpm? Having the same problem..Sounds like the engine but not quite the engine, if you get what i mean...
Old 04-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice, I will keep that in mind if it is the cat. I doubt it is the hangers wes just because I was just under the car doing the vent solenoid and I checked out the exhaust and it was solid.

Yes model16, it seems to go away at higher rpms or at least I can't hear it from the other exhaust/road noise. It does somewhat sound like and engine tap....if I heard that noise coming from under the hood I would probably cry. Hahahaha