Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Tire help for a noob please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire help for a noob please!

Alright, have some pity on a noob here. We just found out on Friday that my 4 year old has type 1 diabetes, and we spent the weekend in the hospital getting educated. We're back home and got trained, I think everything is alright.

In the meantime, one of my students sent me an email that he is reworking his corvette. I recently traded a motorcycle for a 95 Z28. My student has offered me his old calipers and wheels for free if I want them. I know I'll need a bracket for the calipers, but they should be a major upgrade. The wheels are free, but will need tires.

2 questions then...

1. Will his wheels work on my car? Reading through the wheel and tire thread, it appears that they will. The wheels on the car now are FRONT 18X8.5/+56(offset) w/245/40 (25.7 dia.) tires & REAR 19X10/+79(offset) w/285/35 (26.9 dia.) tires. He is using 10mm spacers so that the wheels "fill" out the fenders better, will I need those also (longer studs required then)? I couldn't find recommendations for the exact size wheels that he's offering.

2. What size tires will mount and not rub? I really wasn't looking to dump a bunch of money into the car, but I can't resist free stuff (even when it costs me money). Looks like we're going to have some added expenses in the near future, too, so I'd like to find the most affordable tires that will work.

Thanks for your help. I'd keep searching, but the wheels will be coming soon, my brain is fried with insulin/diabetes info, and I have a very busy two weeks coming. I promise lots of pics when I get things squared away.

Brian