Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't find strong gas smell?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can't find strong gas smell?

I just purchased a 1996 TA WS-6 LT1 M-6, black, about 6 months ago. The car has 70,000 miles and was a one owner car, it appears to be very well maintained. When parked in the garage there is a very strong premium gas smell(more than usual for premium gas). I have had the gas cap tested at the local emisions shop and they say it holds pressure well. There are no leaks present. The smell is so strong that you can smell it in the bedrooms located above the garage. It's so bad that I'm affraid to light a match in the garage. Is there a vent hose that could be loose or off. Can anyone help. Thanks, Randy
Old 03-27-2004, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

maybe ur o2 senors are compensating for a lean condition??? make sure ur intake, maf, and everything is on good. only thing i can think of right now.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:10 AM
wrencher

You better get under it or get it checked out.
Did someone put a fuel pump in it?
Old 04-02-2004, 11:43 PM
Teching In

there is a air bleed hose on top of the tank when you put gas in it sometimes this comes loose in the older cars there is also a belly there too its at the fuel sender and gas spits out and fumes also expell too,if you have a hole in your trunk with a plate and screw in center of trunk that is there for you to look,if not you have to drop tank to check it.Also you can try before you put car inside loose the cap to let out pressure let stand outside for a little while then put inside then put cap back on,if no smell next morning its that hose