Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on removing the egr system.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions on removing the egr system.

I have recently installed an EGR block of kit. My car is a 99 SS I removed pretty much the entire egr system and installed the plates which I purchased from SJM Manufacturing. There is still a hose that runs from under the fuse boxes on the driver side up down the driver side fender and to the back of the engine bay on top of the engine. I think the hose was connected to the hoses that run to the headers I beleive they are called the AIR tubes. Well the hose puts out quite a bit of air. What I'm trying to find out is what is this hose and what is its purpose. I would like to remove it and the assembly that it goes to under the fuse blocks. If anybody knows what this is can you explain to me what it does and if I can remove it or not. Or if I will lose any accessories by removing it. Thanks Jessie
Old 03-27-2004, 10:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like the AIR tubes. Just follow the hose to the AIR pump - located on driver's side - right in front of the parking lights - look under the drivers side there is a flap held by 2 small bolts. Lower it - look straight up, the pump is held on by (I believe) 3 bolts, remove them and the pump will come right out. Remove all the hoses, and the other AIR on passenger side. You'll have to use a block off plate for it also.

You'll end up with 2 EGR header block offs, 1 AIR block off and than the intake EGR block off.

The only code you'll throw is for the EGR, the AIR will not throw a code. It really cleans up the engine bay and with your mods it will not effect anything.

David