Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end dying??!!!! help

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question rear end dying??!!!! help

I've got a 99 TA automatic and have a ticking sound when placed into reverse((identical to what u joints sound like)), and does it sometimes once placed in drive as well.

cruising down the road at say.. 45 mph....if i slam the pedal it sometimes clunks(sounds like right beneath me.. from the trans area)

Changed both u-joints and in doing that found out my trans mount was toast so i replaced that last night with an OEM rubber...

My issue is...none of these noises have gone away AT ALL...most vibrations went away after the trans mount but the ticks,clunks,and clicks are still there

is this an issue with possible backlash in my pinion or something to do with my rear end?
any opinions on what to check and how i check it( as driveline is not my specialty haha)
Old 04-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have guess the tq arm mount.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be a couple of things. Check to make sure the torque arm is secured properly, and check the mount for it on the trans. Then start looking at other things like LCA bushings. Could be that the ring and pinion are getting worn down and you could have excess back lash. I would take the diff cover of and see what your backlash is at.