Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When vavle springs break

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When vavle springs break

Just out of curiosity, what happens when a valve spring breaks? Under normal rpms and under high rpms?
Old 03-27-2004, 06:07 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You want to know what happens? I am building my 3rd motor because of me not changing my valvesprings in a timely manner. I was close to 6krpm and my valvespring broke. The timing must have been just right for the valve to drop into the cylinder and get in between the piston and the cylinder wall and crack the sleeve. Now do you feel lucky? Do you!! Do not take a chance on not using the proper valvetrain. Some get away with just a broken spring and others..... You get what I mean. Do it right the first time and your motor will last a long time. Downtime sucks.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had one break, it was a double spring, the outter spring broke. I didn't even know it was broken, check engine light was flashing, the car drove fine. Like vince said, it can be anywhere from just replacing the springs to replacing the entire engine.

-Sly
Old 03-27-2004, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

My original reason for asking is I autocross, and am looking down the road for a cam package that can handle some high rpm abuse every weekend. Is there any reason to replace stock springs on a stock cam after 3 years of autocrossing?
Old 03-27-2004, 07:22 PM
Restricted User

Yes, even stock springs will get tired. Get a set of stock diamter duals, then if you want to swap cams later you can. I firmly believe that springs last longer the longer you break them in. Just me, but I havent had any problems with springs that have had several heat cycles and at least 500miles on them before revving or anything. Not always the case I know, but my experience.
My buddy, Drew778, broke a outer spring, thought the tune was going bad or something, had high oil pressure, and a slight "miss" if you will. Once I heard it, then drove it, I knew it was a spring right away. Lucky for him, it was a double, and all three outer pieces were in the pocket. After 3 yrs of AutoX I would swap for POM!
Old 03-27-2004, 09:07 PM
Launching!

Unfortunately luck off the draw have broken 3 Comp 941s no issues just changed the spring.

Now using 921s