Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best order to r&r oil pan, front and rear covers

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best order to r&r oil pan, front and rear covers

Going to be installing a new cam and oil pump within the next few days and also need to replace the oil pan and pickup tube for my conversion. I decided to just do the whole deal and replace the rear cover gasket and RMS while i was at it.

Read a bunch of threads to get a feel for the work to be done but wondered about the best order to do things so that i have no alignment issues with the covers / oil pan.

I know there are the Kent Moore tools for alignment of the covers / oil pan but obviously their price makes them truly 'special' tools.

To start, i was going to replace the RMS and pull the rear cover off. Tighten up the rear cover so that i should basically be able to seat the rear cover gasket flat against the oil pan.

Then, pull the front cover off for the cam, oil pump..etc. Put the front cover back on, tighten down, again making sure everything seats against the oil pan.

Finally, remove remove oil pan, swap the pickup tube and fit new oil pan. Put dab of sealant where front and rear covers join the oil pan gasket and tighten everything down.

I am thinking doing it this way should insure everything stays in relatively close alignment. Alternatively i could use the crank pulleys to align the front cover also.

Maybe i am over thinking this a little?
Old 05-03-2012, 04:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

It's easy money, very lightly snug front and rear covers, apply sealant to corners, install pan from the middle working outwards (snug first, then go back and torque it from the middle working outwards), then torque down front and rear covers. All bolts are 18lb-ft except the 2 long M6 bolts at the back of the pan, they are 106lb-in.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

if you pull your rear cover your going to lose the alignment for the rear main seal. thats something you want to get dead on as for the sake of not doing it twice. same goes for the front cover as well. i would pull the front cover and then the pan. install the cam and oil pump, pickup. install your pan and use the tranny to line it up snug down your tranny to pan and then torque pan to block. if you cant get a hold of the alignment tool pop out your front seal and measure from the crank to bore of the seal to make sure its centered and pop your seal in. then do your rear main and seal. i always use the tool but i do work at a gm shop and have it readily available. is the rear main or cover leaking?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Nothing is leaking but the engine is on a stand right now so i figure now is as good a time as any. Donor motor is from an '04 GTO and has 58k miles on it.

I have a copy of the shop manual and the 'how to rebuild LS1s' book and read through them a little more. I think i should be fine, just being a little paranoid i guess

The new RMS has the plastic insert that fits on the end of the crankshaft, so from what ive read that is usually enough to get that rear cover aligned fairly close.

I think i am going to do as 93Z2 suggested which is just pull everything off at the same time. Then put the front and rear covers on and do my best to align everything with a straight edge and a feeler gauge, then tighten down partially.. then put on the pan and torque. Then finally do the final torque for the front and rear covers. I figure it shouldnt be too hard to do with the engine upside down on the stand.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

ya i didnt realize the motor was on a stand just like you say just snug them up and align with the straight edge of the pan rail and make sure your side to side on your seals is good and you should be golden. never a bad thing to be a little paranoid you dont want to have to do it twice!

Quick Reply: Best order to r&r oil pan, front and rear covers