Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Ls1 build. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Ls1 build. Advice?

I recently bought a 2001 camaro coupe with an a4, ls1, power everything, and it completely stock minus a slp lid. I want to turn it into a street/strip car with a budget. I've never messed with an ls1 before so everything I know about them was learned in the last 2 weeks. Here are my plans:
-Fast 102mm intake and Tb
-Texas speed PRC 227 heads
-magic stick 4 cam w/ 111 lsa
-performabuilt 4l60e
-3800 stall
-long tube headers
-30lbs injectors
-magnaflow catback
-high flow MAF
-4.11+ gears
-weight reduction
-suspension

Those are only the parts I'm sure about but please tell me if I'm making a combination error because I would rather everything work together so I can make more power for less money. Also as far as the rear end goes, do I need to go fully built 9" with a 4 link or can I get away with subframe connectors on the stock 10 bolt until it breaks then replace it? And would it be worth converting the power windows to manual to save weight? Please fill in ALL of my gaps. Thanks!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:27 AM

Anyone?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would go with a cam with a 114 or higher LSA since the car is an auto. I would go 373 gears instead of 410 to. The only other thing I can think to add is double check the FAST 102. That may be too much for a stock cube setup.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ls6 intakes are great bang for the buck, look into those before you drop the serious coin on a fast102.

Also, I'd defnitely suggest 3.73's at the very most in an auto unless it's a truely dedicated strip only car (which there is really no need for at all with just heads/cam car) The benefit of 4.10's is really not great enough to justify the mpg loss/increased rpm cruising (aka louder) to me personally.

What are your plans for suspension?

Also, I personally am not crazy about magnaflow exhaust. Have you considered anything else? I personally love GMMG and you can get it for $625 shipped through madhammer.com with a heads/cam car, however, I'd order up an additional muffler/powerstick for the I-pipe through madhammer as well.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:12 PM

Well after I went through a few different exhaust combinations I finally settled on magnaflow because I liked the sound and performance. I have only heard sound clips for the mf exhaust on an ls1 and I liked how it sounded at wot. I will check into the gmmg system though. Thank you for ur opinions!