Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SMH pcv mod?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question SMH pcv mod?!

i know u guys have heard of this SMH pcv mod with the 2 fuel filters, etc. I'm thinking of getting the parts to do this mod this afternoon. My car seems to really use up oil and i really dont like the fact that a 2001 SS does this. i know its a powerplant high horsepower V8, but i feel like if i can do something about it then ill do it.

Will this mod get rid of the "black smoke" that my car seems to put out sometimes when i get on the gas. Thanks in advance guys for ur help.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would stay away from that mod. although ive only read about it, i opted to go with a line dryer for a air compressor. I used a bigger one from home depot, campbell H., it porb holds about 1/4-1/2 a cup of oil. I drove my car about 6000 miles last year and had to dump it out twice. so those little fuel filters will be toast in like 1000 miles easy id have to imagine. eventually ill get a catch can for a cleaner install i think, but this is the way id go...
Old 03-29-2004, 10:43 AM
TECH Veteran

do a search for "catch can" also and "PCV"
Old 03-29-2004, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

so u think the catch can would be the way to go??
Old 03-29-2004, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered a catch can from AMW >>--->
Old 03-29-2004, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jlashley2001ss
so u think the catch can would be the way to go??
The catch can or something like a line dryer like i use would be the best way tto go in my opinion. for looks, id go with the catch can, but i did mine before all these catch cans were out. you can get then in jegs and summit too, but a lot of times they have breathers on the can, so it kind of ruins the whole pcv thing. youmight as well put breathers on the valve covers and take the whole pcv system off if the catch can had a breather. i went to the home depot and bought a campbell hausfeld(sp?) line drier. they make 2 models, ones big and will hold about 1/2 cup of so (i have this one), then theres the little guy thatll hold maybe an ounce or two. then i bought two adapters to change the 1/2" npt threads to 1/4 in or 3/8 and went to sears to get some swivel fittings. these were like 15 bucks each, so after the hose, 4 fittings, and the dryer it cost me like 50 bucks or so if i remember correctly. the catch can is what i would do now though, but ill wait...