LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

School me on two things:

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default School me on two things:

1) Plastic gauge: I bought some as I am checking the bottom end on a motor I just purchased. The way I understand is cut a piece ¼ inch long place it on the bearing, use a bit of lube to hold it in place and tighten down bearing cap then remove and measure. The piece I put is perpendicular to the bearing?
2) Upgrading the top end: If I put larger cam in the motor than stock, (nothing wild looking for 50 to 75 HP gain,, do I have to have different tune, do I need different injectors, throttle body etc. etc. or will the engine see gains by only putting in higher lift cam.
My car is 93Z28 so speed density and no Mass Air flow sensor.
I have always just repaired engines to stock never have thought about increasing HP with internal power adders only have used bolt ons.

My current bolt ons are PCM Chip, K & N Cold air, under drive; hi flo cat and flow master exhaust so pretty stock.

Advice is appreciated
Old 05-28-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

Surface must be clean when using plasti gauge. You will need a tune. Most likely will not need injectors and the throttle body is not necessary. You will need pushrods,springs,retainers,locks,valve seals,rockers,studs and guideplates. Possibly a chain and lifters as well depending on wear and condition. I would start out with getting some long tubes on there and a decent catback system or duals. Do all the bolt ons and free mods first. And if auto get a stall and make sure it has decent gears. Do some basic suspension mods like LCAs with relo brackets and an adjustable panhard rod. Then think about a cam.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

50-75 horse on a cam only car is actually asking quite a lot lol. From everything I've read most cam only cars gain anywhere from 35-50hp. Yes you'll need a tune and may or may not need injectors.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I put a comp 503 cam in my car right after I first got it,and drove it for a few months with no tune. It felt like it picked up an honest 20-25hp. Then I purchased a tune through pcmforless (I bought a 2nd computer from them), and holyshit, it felt like it picked up another 20 just in the tune. It will run pretty rich if you cam it without a tune.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're gonna see more out of your cam if you're already full bolt-on.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you have something on the bearing besides the plasti-gauge when you torque it down the plasti-gauge will lie to you and sau the clearance is tighter than it is. Remember oil does not compress at the pressure the torqued bearing cap is.

Quick Reply: School me on two things: