Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cut outs 2 or 1

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 02:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cut outs 2 or 1

i decided im jus going to doe 1 or 2 cut outs untill i can get headers back all done. so now should i get 2 cut outs that would be open all the time in the y pipe or one somewhere else and where? whats going to sound the best? will it have enough back pressure? anything i should look out for? thanks
Old 03-30-2004, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i run dual cutouts after my headers and it is ungodly loud. you cant drive around like that everyday unless you want tickets though

it does provide a nice gain in power though

for most situations i would say one cutout would be fine, but i was getting a new ypipe made anyways and just decided to put them there, im very happy i did
Old 03-30-2004, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also running dual cutouts.. Right before the bends in each side of the y-pipe. Sorta like the QTEC setup...

It is really loud, but it's gonna sound awesome with my new heads and cam. I'd say that one in your I-pipe would suffice for now.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dual cutouts are very freaking loud. It sounds mean as hell, but you're just asking for migraines and tickets. Not only that, but just the fumes and smell wafting up from under the car can get kinda nasty.

From a performance standpoint, I'd say dual cutouts shifts the powerband up. You lose power down low, but gain it in the top end.

Either way, I would definitely not recommend keeping them open all the time.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed FvC
Dual cutouts are very freaking loud. It sounds mean as hell, but you're just asking for migraines and tickets. Not only that, but just the fumes and smell wafting up from under the car can get kinda nasty.

From a performance standpoint, I'd say dual cutouts shifts the powerband up. You lose power down low, but gain it in the top end.

Either way, I would definitely not recommend keeping them open all the time.
What he said.. Or at least get you some electric openers. Takes all of the getting dirty out of having cutouts.

I don't have much if any fumes coming into the car. I have the mounted where the cutouts are on the inside of the y-pipe. I think that kinda cuts down on the fume issues.