Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1?????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1?????????????????

Ls1 question first let me say hi to all.
I am looking to buy a Camaro.4th generation with a LS1 in it.

i am not a racer i just want a project car, something with a little *****.

It way have a lot of miles on it. any how i want to build the top end. Or get a extra cast iron block and build that up.

The question is where can a get a cast iron LS1 block from and should i use one or just rebuild the top end of the current LS1?
Old 06-08-2012, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you'd be surprised how well these engines hold up. that said, freshening up the top end when you do heads and cam would be good. Try and purchase a car with a strong running engine, that burns no oil, and makes no weird sounds
Old 06-08-2012, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool 1 more question as far as cams what to get?
Old 06-08-2012, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What kind of car is it, what do you want out of it as far as just more street friendly or more aggressive, and how much money do you plan on dumping in it?

Answer those questions and we can help out better.

With any kind of cam upgrade you also need to include in your build price for valve springs, pushrods and a tune.

If you want a lopey sound where everyone knows you have a cam get a cam with a tighter lsa around a 109-110, if you want a better idle and more of a sleeper get something with s wider lsa like from 114-116.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimes
you'd be surprised how well these engines hold up. that said, freshening up the top end when you do heads and cam would be good. Try and purchase a car with a strong running engine, that burns no oil, and makes no weird sounds
I agree, if you buy one with higher miles that has been decently maintained throughout it's life, chances are good that the stock bottom end is in alright shape and you will be able to get it and start doing some top end mods without much issue. These motors have been proven time and time again to be very durable, many guys on here have heavily modded LS motors, and they hold up fine to the abuse.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh and BTW LS1's are only manufactured in aluminum so if You're dead set on an iron block then You can build a truck block either a 5.3 or a 6.0 L both very popular choices ,,,,,,,they are usually quite a bit less to purchase ,,,,,,,they do weigh about 75lbs. more and You can rebuild them a few times where as the LS1 can usually only be rebuilt once because they use steel cylinder liners .