Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a Ls1 powered vehicle, want to learn a little.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 01:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a Ls1 powered vehicle, want to learn a little.

I currently own a 97 z28.

Home Ported Heads, Hotcam, PCMFORLESS Tune, SLP MID Length Headers, Some other things.

Anyhow, my buddy has a 98 formula. Some heads from texas speed and a pat g cam.

His car is putting down some serious numbers and runs great at the track.

I really like the WS6 Trans Ams and the Firehawks

I am trying to learn a little about these motors before deciding what I really want to do.

What kind of power can I get with a big cam on these motors? Whats some good heads?

My buddy was telling me about some T-Rex cam but that sounds like a big cam for a car driven on the streets.

I will be great full for any advice.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyZ28
I currently own a 97 z28.

Home Ported Heads, Hotcam, PCMFORLESS Tune, SLP MID Length Headers, Some other things.

Anyhow, my buddy has a 98 formula. Some heads from texas speed and a pat g cam.

His car is putting down some serious numbers and runs great at the track.

I really like the WS6 Trans Ams and the Firehawks

I am trying to learn a little about these motors before deciding what I really want to do.

What kind of power can I get with a big cam on these motors? Whats some good heads?

My buddy was telling me about some T-Rex cam but that sounds like a big cam for a car driven on the streets.

I will be great full for any advice.

ok well since your talking about cams mostly ill just go into that. for me and those i know the cam has always been the sweet spot for the ls1. a cammed ls1 is something to be feared if its setup right. texas speed sells some nice heads and cam packages for decent prices, something to look at there. or you could pull the stock heads off and port them. now the t-rex is a big cam and if its a dd, i wouldnt do it. you will get some ppl saying to go for it and that they do it but imo i wouldnt. cam size depends on the power you want to make and the application to be honest. if its a street car and you want something a little over 400 horses then buy a texas heads and cam package and get a 228/228 cam. very well mannered cam but aggressive when you get on it. in the end its entirely up to you. one thing to remember i see alot of lt guys switch to ls and start claiming the lt was faster. this is all in the feel of it the ls drives differently and may not feel faster, but it is.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LS engines are way more fuel efficient and are way better durability wise then a sbc or lt1, plus they respond well to mods even simple ones....even a 5.3 would be better than an lt1 which is just my personal opinion
Old 06-10-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You need to spend some time on here and read a lot. Between internal/external and dyno sections. There are years of threads that will give a pretty good idea of what to expect.