LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Radiator flaps

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator flaps

Hey guys, just put a new motor in and i was checking for any leaks after driving. I will start with the meziere electric pump which keeps the motor extremely cool. It sticks out alot and it is pinning the rigth fan so that it wont work unless i slice the entire fan in half with adremel bit, So i unplugged it.and the motor still runs really cool. The pinning of the fan is caused by the ls1 lid swap, laying the radiator back. Here in washington the weather has been in the 60-70 degree range so no HOT weather yet. But i was looking at the fans and noticed the two rubber flaps. I guess there purpose is to let air in at speed? Would it be a good idea to open those flaps to let air in ALL the time? Anyone do this? And what was the result? Thanks
Old 06-27-2012, 05:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You could switch to a CSR pump. They are much smaller than the Meziere and don't require any trimming on a stock setup so I'd imagine in your situation it would give you the clearance you need.

CSR:

Meziere:

Huge difference.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes there is a big difference, especially in the wallet. Just laid out 250 for this pump. Works really really well not looking to switch thanks. I will have to wait for hot weather and see if opening the flaps make a difference. Thanks
Old 06-27-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You could easily sell it I'm sure. You will want the fans running, flaps or no flaps.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:11 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

As I recall, the fans bolt to the back side (engine side) of the fan shroud. You should be able to remove them and bolt on from the front side. This will move the fans forward.

Also, you can trim some of the plastic sections of the shroud.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The flaps are there to allow the fans to suck through the radiator, when the car's speed is high enough the incoming air blows the flaps open so the fans do not restrict the flow. On some cars the fans shut off at a certain speed like 45 MPH.

Al 95 Z28
Old 06-27-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

So holding them open should increase flow. I dont see how it could hurt. The only way to really know is to try it. When the weather ever gets better here i will let u guys know if it helps or not. Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FAD2BLK93
So holding them open should increase flow. I dont see how it could hurt. The only way to really know is to try it. When the weather ever gets better here i will let u guys know if it helps or not. Thanks for the replies.
You do realize the goal of the fans is to pull air through the radiator right? If those are open at low speeds with the fans going its going to be pulling air through those openings right through the fans instead of pulling air from the other side of the radiator that actually cools the coolant.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
You do realize the goal of the fans is to pull air through the radiator right? If those are open at low speeds with the fans going its going to be pulling air through those openings right through the fans instead of pulling air from the other side of the radiator that actually cools the coolant.
Hey mister!!! Leave all logic at the door when you enter a thread next time... (First Warning)

Quick Reply: Radiator flaps