Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me choose my car/help with swap info

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Help me choose my car/help with swap info

So I am looking for a pre-1975 car so I won't need smog and I would like to swap in an LS based engine for the mpg as I want to build a fun daily driver with at least 20-22 mpg average
I narrowed it down to a few cars but don't know which is best and haven't found much info after a few days of searching besides novas, chevelles, and camaros.
The cars are:
1967 barracuda
1966 mustang
1972 mustang
1973 camaro
or some kind of nova pre 75

Which of these would be a better candidate for the swap as a daily? Any other cars I should consider? Also which engine would be best? This would be my first time trying something like this and I would like to keep the swap as simple as I can I know it will be hard but some are harder to do than others I am sure. Thank you for any help and suggestions you give. I do know some are lighter than others too but as far as I know the heaviest are around same weight as 2000 camaro ss which is kinda the mpg im hoping for. If I can get better than great
Old 06-28-2012, 02:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally when it comes to classic cars id rather stick with a chevy for a chevy motor but thats just me. For an engine I would pick up a 5.3 truck motor and slap a turbo on it. It'll be quick, have perfect daily driving manners, and pull in awesome gas mileage.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:54 AM

thanks alot
Old 06-28-2012, 05:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Camaro or Nova will be the easiest since the basic architecture of the LS is similar to a SBC. The Baracuda does use a rear rear sump pan in the V8 variant, the Mustang is front sump. Hope this helps.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:06 PM

Yes thank you that does help and ill probably go with the nova then. I have just 2 more
questions. How much does all this usually cost? Not including the price of the engine and transmission. Do I need to buy one of those efi kits like EZ-EFI?

Quick Reply: Help me choose my car/help with swap info