LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My new toy & questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new toy & questions.

Picked up a 94 formula today for about 3X cheaper than my old stock camaro a year ago 133K on the clock. Car is an auto with some work done to it. Most notable is an unknown cam. The guy I bought it off of didn't know because the previous seller didn't know and ect ect. But it has the stock manifolds, emissions crap with just a slp cat-back. But the car was actually dyno'd with this set-up, made good torque. So i'm wondering if i should ever even bother with headers? I know that would change the power curve but don't know if it'd be beneficial. Not like i can really order a mail tune since i don't know the mods. Would a dyno tune be the only way about it now if i did do headers or other upgrades? The rollers are obviously aftermarket as well. The guy i bought it off of thinks there's a stall in it too from how it drives and the torque curve on the dyno. Right now I have to figure out why it keeps dying, I have another thread on the board not really getting alot of help with but hoping it's not the opti. So this is what i'll be asking for help with from now on.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Be careful... I bought my 97 with the previous owner saying it was all rebuilt with all these parts.

Well the specs were accurate but poorly built. Motor dumped and so did the tranny.

Had to rebuild both!!

Best advise is open it up, and find out FOR SURE what you have and what condition it is in.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blackjack325
Be careful... I bought my 97 with the previous owner saying it was all rebuilt with all these parts.

Well the specs were accurate but poorly built. Motor dumped and so did the tranny.

Had to rebuild both!!

Best advise is open it up, and find out FOR SURE what you have and what condition it is in.
Yikes hope I don't have that luck... but you're right and if i do have to dig into the opti might get into the rest of it.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:01 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can get cam specs with only taking the valve cover and the #1 plug out. It's not easy but it can be done.... You'll also need a degree wheel and a dial indicator and be pretty good at math. As for the converter, try flashing it and it'll give you a general idea as to what it is. rear gear can be done by marking the rear tire and driveshaft, then doing one turn of the tire and see how many times the shat spins. Knowing if there is head work is another story. That and checking the bottom end will require removing parts. As for the dying, there are a couple write ups on checking that and the ICM. http://shbox.com/ is a good place to start.

G/L and keep us up to date
Old 07-05-2012, 01:45 AM
Staging Lane

good looking bird, I'm partial to 93-97 white birds tho lol

Quick Reply: My new toy & questions.