Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help and advise 5.3 in a 79' Malibu

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help and advise 5.3 in a 79' Malibu

I have a 79 Chevy Malibu that my dad owned and we installed a 383 with a turbo 400 3200 stall SS Monte Carlo ss rear 373 poss the comp cam has gone bad 3 times!! so its time for a change my dad is 70 years old now and just wants to see and drive it before he dies.... what would it take for me to install a late model truck motor and can anyone in Houston to Dallas help us thanks in advance for your help! please pay it forward with your experiences not asking for a hand out just help!!

Last edited by A/C MAN; 07-06-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

If I remeber my 78 as well as I think I do, there is buckets of room under that hood.

I bet there are ready made motor mounts for that car.

Just take it one system at a time,, the motor will fit I am sure, so next what trans will you bolt it to? Might be easiest to get a motor and trans together but then will it fit the tunnel?

Stand alone harness fuel Injected or carburated? after makeing that choice then you have to figure out your fuel system.

Headers or stock manifolds?

Will the truck intake clear?

I can only guess that a carburated stock exhaust manifold ls1 intake with custom exhaust is the answer, so then you just have to search out builds not only on that car, but on other cars that share the same body style, and you will find the answers to if the oil pan or truck acsesories will fit.

Like I said, take it a system at a time, work from the trans forward and motor mounts up.

Sorry I am not more help, I am a total noob at this too.

I just did a google search "ls1 th400" this is the first entry

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...wheel-use.html

just keep searching like that, a lot of answers will be out there for what you need.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Crazier
If I remeber my 78 as well as I think I do, there is buckets of room under that hood.

I bet there are ready made motor mounts for that car.

Just take it one system at a time,, the motor will fit I am sure, so next what trans will you bolt it to? Might be easiest to get a motor and trans together but then will it fit the tunnel?

Stand alone harness fuel Injected or carburated? after makeing that choice then you have to figure out your fuel system.

Headers or stock manifolds?

Will the truck intake clear?

I can only guess that a carburated stock exhaust manifold ls1 intake with custom exhaust is the answer, so then you just have to search out builds not only on that car, but on other cars that share the same body style, and you will find the answers to if the oil pan or truck acsesories will fit.

Like I said, take it a system at a time, work from the trans forward and motor mounts up.

Sorry I am not more help, I am a total noob at this too.

I just did a google search "ls1 th400" this is the first entry

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...wheel-use.html

just keep searching like that, a lot of answers will be out there for what you need.
cool I'm about as far along as your advise I was thinking about keeping the turbo 400 trans??
Old 07-06-2012, 01:38 AM
On The Tree

Im not in dallas but i can throw some light on this. Truck pan will fit but hang 2.5-3 inches below the crossmember. Pans using 1in setback mounts. Factory pans ..CTS_V(1/4-1/2 below the crossmember) or F-body(Tight to the crossmember but dosent hang down) and just about any of the aftermarket pans fit without issues. Pick what you want to spend and get a pan. The truck intake will fit under the stock hood. You can keep the 400 if you want or go with a 4l60 e and it will fit with no mods to the tunnel. Not sure about the tunnel with the 400 or a 4l80. F-body ls1 manifolds work well with fitment and the 1in setback plates. Truck manifolds ... the passenger side is good.. the driver side will require modification to work. In my case i tried a modified truck onthe driver and i couldnt run the column shift. Got the f-body driver and im using the column again. I built a trans crossmember so i cant comment on that. I shortened my driveshaft and bolted it back up. The truck acc will work also and clear the stock hood. The high mount a/c bracket if you dont want to cut or notch. Good luck !
Old 07-06-2012, 10:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here is a link to my setup in my 81 Malibu and it may help. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-5-3-swap.html

Keep the TH400, just get the GM flat flexplate and spacer to make the snout ride in the crank.

Carshop 1in setback plates and sbc clamshell mounts

Last edited by superbean; 07-06-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maliburacing.com
Forums
Then click on LSX section

Or search for gbody swap thread on here. Lots of info

Quick Reply: need help and advise 5.3 in a 79' Malibu