LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Prothane motor mount issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Prothane motor mount issue

In attempting to install the driver side Prothane motor mount into the shell, it does not seem to fit properly. I know I have the right parts, and it is oriented correctly.

The mount seems too tall, causing the shell to bow when bolted together. I did not finish cranking down the bolts in the pictures, but you can see that there is a good deal of stress on the top clam shell. With the larger bolts removed and smaller bolts tightened down, you can see the huge gap that remains.

Have any of you experienced this? Am I making too big a deal of this? Possibly the mount will compress more when bolted to the block? I'd like to get this figured out now, since getting to the motor mount later is a PITA. Thanks.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine were the same way.

With all the bolts out I clamped mine down in the vice so it tightened on the mount squarely, then put all the bolts in and torqued them.

It looked okay after everything went together. I think you definitely need to tighten both sides evenly or the mount will be bulging out to one side.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i emailed you...

oh yea btw those LT1 mounts are HUGE!!!!

Last edited by trans_am7935; 07-10-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

dont freak out if the bolt that slides through it doesnt want to go through either. I thought something was majorly f'd up but they are just so much tighter/harder you almost have to thread it. Makes it a major PITA when you get it all lined up and the engine wedged the right way and then the bolt just laughs at you and goes in half way and thats it.

Your probably already past it but if you leave it out and in a vice and just test fit them it makes life easier once your in/under the car.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Theyre supposed to have some "preload" per the manufacturer Mine was so tall I cut & filed it down a lil bit Made things way easier & the mount is still tight in the factory part My motor is out ,but I bet its a pita with the motor in car
Old 07-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

Same way mine looked

Quick Reply: Prothane motor mount issue