Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTO and Fbody Alternators the same or different?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GTO and Fbody Alternators the same or different?

I just sat my GTO LS1 in the subframe of my 68 Camaro and it fits great except for the very edge of the alternator (the voltage output nut/bolt) hits the subframe and stops the motor mount from resting on the engine pedestal.

Are the two alternators the same or is the Fbody actually smaller (and I think the nut/bolt is more centered than the outwards one on the GTO)? I just want to confirm this before I go and order a new alternator. I don't want to start grinding on the sub frame.

I've searched for hours because I figured this would have come up before with the thousands of swaps done, but I can't find anything.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bump, anyone? Or is it a stupid question, lol?
Old 07-15-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only difference I notices is that the plugs are different and are "energized" differently. I used a f-body alt' on my GTO LS1, but w/ a high passenger side mount. I didn't notice that the size was any different between the two and the F-Body alt' mounted just the same as the GTO alt'.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I installed a 2006 LS2 & T56 into my 66 gto and had a similar problem, the 98-02 fbody alternator is a little smaller in outer diamtoeter, but will mount the same way and use the same belt, and the charging lug is more centrally located, the only main difference is the wiring plug connetor besides amperage output from the 2005-2006 LS2 GTO alternator and the 98-02 fbody alternator, I am not sure on the 2004 LS1 GTO alternator if the plug is different than than the 98-02 fbody
Old 07-15-2012, 03:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know guys swapping LS motors into Datsun Z cars can't make the GTO alternator work. They all switch to F body alts. I seem to remember something about the power lugs interfering with that particular swap.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I know guys swapping LS motors into Datsun Z cars can't make the GTO alternator work. They all switch to F body alts. I seem to remember something about the power lugs interfering with that particular swap.
That's exactly the issue I have. The bolt is on the very outer edge of the alt and rubs the frame.

Looks like a Fbody alt is the fix. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: GTO and Fbody Alternators the same or different?