Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sudden oil pressure loss

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sudden oil pressure loss

I put a new engine in my car and it now has just under 8000 miles.It is all brand new inside.Stock GM crank,forged pistons and rods,cnc ported heads and every peice of hardware is ARP.I did my 3rd oil change about 1000 miles ago with Mobil 1 10w-30 and AC delco filter.
My oil pressure suddenly is very low as compared to the usual pressure.At 2000 rpm it is less than 40 and idle is 20 or even less some times.Used to be about 60 cold and 40 hot idle.Now it wont even get above 40 cold idle.I confirmed pressures with mechanical guage.I also change oil and filter again.This time using20w-50 and no change.
The oil pump is a ported one from SLP.If there was an O-ring problem im sure it would have been from day one right?The cam retainer plate was new GM and so was the "barbell" restrictor.I have not yet cut open this last oil filter but there was nothing on the drain plug.I cut open my first oil filter and it was fine.Im stumped about what to do or what suddenly caused this.I hope someone can help me.Thank you and sorry about the long post,just wanted to include all info
Old 07-21-2012, 04:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To begin, empty the oil into a clean container. Let it sit for awhile to let any possible foreign material settle. Then, pour off most of the oil, leaving just a half-inch in the container. Move it around and check for bearing material.
If there is material, I'd remove the oil filter & cut it open with a pair of metal shears, or, you can punch a hole in it, then tear it open with a can opener motion, using a pair of needle-nose pliers.
If there is no material, save the oil to refill the crankcase.
That should get you started.
Next, you could remove the oil pump & check for a stuck relief valve, and while you're there, inspect the o-ring.
I had the same symptoms, before I lost pressure completely. I found the barbell had dislodged itself.
I think that the hardest hurdle is to accept that you may have to do an engine removal to verify & solve the trouble.
Good luck!
Old 07-21-2012, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How would the barbell dislodge itself?I thought the rear cover held it from poping out?Unfortunatley Im assuming Im goin to have to drop my engine all over again to access anything?
Old 07-22-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Junkie

After discovering the barbell had popped out, I bought another.
The butt (outside), ribbed end of the new one was about 3/16" longer than the old one.
On the new barbell, I put some putty on the outside end, then bolted the rear cover in place. The putty showed me that the rear cover held the barbell in place.
Not so with the old barbell.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Junkie

If there is no bearing material in the oil, you can try lowering the front of the oilpan...just enough to get at the pump pickup tube & o-ring.
And, after removing the pump, you just may luck out, and find a stuck bypass valve.

Quick Reply: sudden oil pressure loss