LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Replacement Crank Hub

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Replacement Crank Hub

I'm elbow deep in my engine bay at the moment. I went in to replace the water pump. Decided to swap out my opti at the same time as I had a high-RPM miss. The mess of oil in the area pushed me to replace all the timing cover seals. When I pulled the crank hub, I found it was grooved. The car has 85k miles on it so I assumed it was the original hub.

After searching here, I learned of and bought a speedi-sleeve. The allowable measurements are 1.760-1.766 inch diameter. My hub measures 1.785. Upon closer inspection, it appears to have been machined and sleeved.

So, now I plan to order a shiny new steel one. http://www.thunderracing.com/shop-by...-Hubs_432.html

Is the Pioneer Hub from Thunder Racing a press fit to the crank as the OEM is? Should I install the key too? I'm not planning to run a blower. If I choose to key it as well, do I have to remove the timing cover, chain and sprockets? To remove those, do I need to drop the pan? I really want to just bolt it back together at this point.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Village Troll

Received 519 Likes on 375 Posts

Don't bother running a key. Yes it's the same as stock as far as installing. If you chose to run a key you just need to make sure to get the correct size. Not sure what it is. There are two keys, one for the timing gear and provisions for the hub if you so choose. I don't believe you need to remove the timing cover to insert a key.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Sweet. Now I need to see if I can source one locally. Cross-border shipping can be such a hassle.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

standard SBC key will fit. I encourage you to run one.

Thunder may be able to supply one with the hub..

you do not need to remove timing cover...pretty much plug & play, just line up keyed groove on hub with new key on crank

Quick Reply: Replacement Crank Hub