General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Window Issue - Searched but haven't seen this posted

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Window Issue - Searched but haven't seen this posted

Hi everyone, this is my first post here so bear with me a little bit. I searched the forum for a problem similar to mine, but haven't found anything with the same symptoms as my window. I bought the Trans Am about a month ago, and the drivers window was very slow, but worked going up and down. About a week ago, I put the window down all the way, and then raised it to about halfway. I tried putting the window down from there a little while later, but all that happens when I press the switch down is a continuous loud clicking noise and the window drops about 1/4 of an inch, but it goes up just fine, and I can press the switch up without a clicking noise. I'm not sure if I should be looking at the regulator for issues, or the motor. Anyone got any suggestions on which to replace?
Old 07-25-2012, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

take the panel off and take a peek as to what is going on
Old 07-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Teching In

I looked around inside and couldn't see anything that looked strange except for the metal on the door flexing outwards when I attempted to put the window down.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:51 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

This is usually because someone used bolts instead of rivets to secure a replacement motor and they have come loose. As sjsingle1 pointed out, you need to get the panel off. Posting a picture of what's under there may help also.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Teching In

I'm pretty sure it's all the stock rivets and motor still. Ill take a picture and post it up, I'm gonna replace the motor anyways since the stock one was starting to slow down.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:06 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by mdevegas
I'm pretty sure it's all the stock rivets and motor still.
Highly unlikely. If that's the case, you are a lucky person and should be playing the lottery!

The grinding is gear on rack. The stock rivets are very stout, as are the gears. I'll eat my shorts if you have gear grinding with the stock setup.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You stated clicking and not grinding and only when pressing down. I wonder if it might be the auto down module. I don't know what's in those auto down units, but it's a thought. Where exactly is the clicking coming from?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Teching In

It turns out it was the motor. The motor was actually replaced before, all the rivets were screws. I took out the motor that was in and tested it and it was clicking when it wasn't even touching anything. Guess the gear inside the motor was shot, but I replaced the motor with the one from Autozone with the lifetime warranty and it's working perfectly now. Thanks for your help and advice guys.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Hey Guys,

I am having the same issue, and I have called a few window shops. They said for me to check to see if the regulator is attached or seperate from the window motor from the dealer? Great customer service right? I am very new to window parts, help. Thanks

Kenny
Old 07-31-2012, 06:05 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by michaelmyers
Hey Guys,

I am having the same issue, and I have called a few window shops. They said for me to check to see if the regulator is attached or seperate from the window motor from the dealer? Great customer service right? I am very new to window parts, help. Thanks

Kenny
Search for how to install the motor and you'll see what they are talking about.