General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

98 TA Glove Compartment Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 TA Glove Compartment Stuck

I cant get the glove compartment open using the handle under the passenger side, and I've tried using a screw driver and attempted to pull whatever lever/mechanism I saw hoping it would open but it wouldn't. Now it hangs low and will not close high enough so that the light in the compartment turns off.

Anyone know how to get it open? Worst comes to worst, can I just break whatever is holding it up and replace it with another one?
If so, is the part the exact same in the Camaro and Firebird? LT1 interior fits?
Old 07-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The lovely thing about the owners manual cover for these cars is that its the perfect size to jam the whole thing shut.

If you take off the lower IP cover underneath the compartment, I recall that you can get your hand up the back of the compartment and move the stuff inside around so it will open. (I could be wrong - its been a while since I was messing around in there.)
Old 07-28-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How low is it hanging open? If you can, get some bolt cutters and cut the latch bar. Remove it simply with 2 bolts to replace it. 97-02 latch bars should be the same. I'd be leery of prying on the glove box, it's not exactly strong.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had my car a month and told my friend to get something outta my glovebox but then remembered it was locked. By the time I made it outside he had managed to **** up the locking mechanism with the key by turning it to hard the wrong way. I had to by a whole new glove box just for the locking mechanism and super glue like 3 pennies to get the light to turn off when shut.